Cookie Memories

Reaction score
So every year my grandmother would send us a tin of cookies. They were possibly my favorite part of Christmas. She passed away a few years and my aunt was kind enough to copy her cookies recipes and send them to all of the family members. Now every Christmas season I bake those cookies for my family and friends, and it reminds me of her. For a few minutes I feel totally connected to her again. I love that baking has that power. We can connect through our recipes which are often handed down generation to generation. I know that my kids will always eat "Grandmas' cookies" on Christmas, and I hope it will give them the same happy memories that it gave me.

Reaction score
When I lived back in the Philippines, I remember always eating 'Crinkles' which is a type of cookie that you roll in powdered sugar. It's not as popular as other cookies which made me kind of shocked when I saw "How to make Red Velvet Crinkles" on the premade red velvet batter box.

Reaction score
We always loved my grandma's sour cream sugar cookies. They were so soft, just the right texture and full of lemony and nutmeg goodness. I think she could make them blindfolded! We'd go there on Sundays and she'd make them for us. They were round cut out cookies but she put enough on the tray that the sides baked together and she had to cut them apart so there was always a little crispy brown on the outside edges. I have the recipe, but I haven't been able to make them like her because I can't get the texture down. They are either too thick or too thin. But they taste great so I make them anyway!!

Reaction score
My grandmother and mother did not bake and I had a dysfunctional childhood, so I'm creating new traditions for my daughter. I think my daughter will remember me for gingerbread ninjas, which are just gingerbread cookies that were made with ninja cookie cutters, and gingerbread hot cocoa, which is just hot cocoa with Torani gingerbread syrup and topped with gingerbread flavored marshmallows from Walmart.

Reaction score
My grandmother and mother did not bake and I had a dysfunctional childhood, so I'm creating new traditions for my daughter. I think my daughter will remember me for gingerbread ninjas, which are just gingerbread cookies that were made with ninja cookie cutters, and gingerbread hot cocoa, which is just hot cocoa with Torani gingerbread syrup and topped with gingerbread flavored marshmallows from Walmart.

Kudos to you, ASCAPA, for breaking the cycle and going a step further with your daughter. As a friend of mine said "Even if we can do even a bit better with our own children than our parents did with us we're making progress." I'm guilty of passing along some of my own dysfunction to my kids, but I think I gave them a lot of positives, too, that I never had in my own childhood.

Reaction score
Kudos to you, ASCAPA, for breaking the cycle and going a step further with your daughter. As a friend of mine said "Even if we can do even a bit better with our own children than our parents did with us we're making progress." I'm guilty of passing along some of my own dysfunction to my kids, but I think I gave them a lot of positives, too, that I never had in my own childhood.

Thank you. Just think, that little bit of dysfunction that we pass on gives our kids character and material to wrote jokes about.
If you gave your kids a lot of positives that you never had, then you're doing great. I grew up with a negligent mother who used to beat the hell out of me and I'm just glad that I didn't pass any of that on to my kid.

Reaction score
I remember one year I was baking and selling gingerbread houses in order to finance the purchase of my first PC, and of course enlisted the help of my mother and even my teen brother. We had set up an assembly line of sorts in order to complete five houses on a deadline, with my mother piping the royal icing and my brother and I sticking on the candy. We were going faster and faster and getting sillier and sillier, and after a few "ho ho ho"s from my brother she piped a frosting mustache on his face. "Give me a beard!" he cried, and my mom piped a frosting beard on as well. We were all laughing hysterically until my mom pulled out the camera and tried to take a picture... my brother suddenly remembered he was a teenager and not supposed to enjoy making a gingerbread house with his mother and sister, and pulled the most sour face he could muster while trying not to laugh!

Reaction score
Thank you. Just think, that little bit of dysfunction that we pass on gives our kids character and material to wrote jokes about.
If you gave your kids a lot of positives that you never had, then you're doing great. I grew up with a negligent mother who used to beat the hell out of me and I'm just glad that I didn't pass any of that on to my kid.

You can be pleased and proud that you didn't pass that along! So many do. :( And as for the challenges becoming the fuel for positive stuff...yes, if you allow it, it can be a good experience. I'm so thankful that I'm learning differently and can use my painful past to help others!!

Reaction score
My fondest cookie memory was a few years ago at Christmas when, as a young teenager, I went to my friend's house for the day. Her family were adopting another little girl at the time, so she was staying with them for a while (it fell through though and she ended up going back to her mum :() and it was her first Christmas with a real family for a long time. The three of us - me, my friend and the little girl - all made gingerbread men together and then sat decorating the in front of the TV. It was so beautiful seeing her have so much fun decorating her gingerbread men, especially when some of them went a bit wrong and we were able to have a good laugh about it!

Reaction score
My fondest cookie memory was a few years ago at Christmas when, as a young teenager, I went to my friend's house for the day. Her family were adopting another little girl at the time, so she was staying with them for a while (it fell through though and she ended up going back to her mum :() and it was her first Christmas with a real family for a long time. The three of us - me, my friend and the little girl - all made gingerbread men together and then sat decorating the in front of the TV. It was so beautiful seeing her have so much fun decorating her gingerbread men, especially when some of them went a bit wrong and we were able to have a good laugh about it!

Neat thinking that girl might still be carrying that wonderful memory around too!!

Reaction score
My fondest cookie memories are making chocolate chip cookies as a kid with my 2 brothers and three sisters! We made them every weekend because there were 8 people in our family so they went fast!

The best part of course was eating the dough! Why does that always taste so good?!

I still love to make chocolate cookies today - it makes me feel warm and homey! :)

Reaction score
I think traditions like gifting cookies in tins, are something every child looks forward to, not only in the receiving, but also in the helping to prepare such treat gifts. Which ever side of it you are on, fixing or receiving, it will give you special warm memories to cherish and associate with that particular cookie or candy. For my family, an Aunt always made Buckeyes. And my grandmother always had warm oatmeal raisin cookies fresh out of the oven when we came to visit. So many good memories in my life I can seriously associate with baked goods.

Reaction score
The memory that stands out the most for me is making peanut butter cookies with my mom. I specifically remember using forks to put the criss cross pattern on the tops :) We didn't do a lot of baking but for some reason using those forks stand out to me haha

Reaction score
My fondest cookie memories are when my Mama would make No Bake Cookies for me. It was a special treat. I loved the chocolaty goodness and it was something that we shared together. I would watch the process and I would even get to stir on occasions. Those were the good ole days when things were not difficult.

Reaction score
I remember when my sister and I first made cookies together. We did it for our 4H club. We did a good job and eeveryone loved our cookies. That was tge first time we ever baked something together all by ourselves. It was wonderful and one of my favorite memories.

Ask a Question