Cookie Monster Cupcakes

Reaction score
I made a post last month about what type cake/cupcake I should do for my son's birthday. I ended up making cookie monster cupcakes. I think they came out great!

Wonderland_3.jpg
Wonderland_2.jpg

Reaction score
Wow, these are really cool! I sometimes make Cookie Monster cupcakes, but I use the small Cookie Crisp cereal instead of real cookies in his mouth.. I think your version's better!

Have you tried Elmo's? They're sort of similar, apart from having red frosting, you also add a black semi-circle of fondant icing for his mouth, and an orange ball of fondant icing for his nose. Animal's can be made the same as Elmo's.. but adding a few white teeth and pink tongue, and some large black eyebrows.

You could have the whole crew on there as a cupcake platter type thing! :D

Well done, anyways; they're brill! And you're much better at photography than I am, too. :D You'll have to post more pictures of your creations, now.. :p

Reaction score
What sort of food colouring do you use to colour your frosting? I used to use liquid, but had to add excessive amounts of icing sugar to stop the frosting from being too sloppy...
I now use a paste that comes in little pots --> Like these
But I struggle to get such vibrant colours such as the blue of your cookie monsters? The most difficult colours to achieve with them are Red (I use Extra Red, and have to add ridiculous amounts to stop it being pink..) and Black (Same here.. with Extra Black)

Has anyone any experience with the powders or gels? Which would you recommend? :S

Reaction score
What sort of food colouring do you use to colour your frosting? I used to use liquid, but had to add excessive amounts of icing sugar to stop the frosting from being too sloppy...
I now use a paste that comes in little pots --> Like these
But I struggle to get such vibrant colours such as the blue of your cookie monsters? The most difficult colours to achieve with them are Red (I use Extra Red, and have to add ridiculous amounts to stop it being pink..) and Black (Same here.. with Extra Black)

Has anyone any experience with the powders or gels? Which would you recommend? :S

I used store bought icing. It was the Betty Crocker Cake/Cupcake decorating icing. It came in a can, that also included a variety of decorating tips. This was my first time doing cake decoration, so I didn't want to invest too much money it. Only experience I have with food coloring, its when I dyed sugar cookies. I know the colors didn't come out as vibrant. Especially the red.

Reaction score
Love it! Did you get inspiration for that from pictures of similar cupcakes?

I did a lot of googling before I decided how to make the cookies. There were so many different ways that people decided to do it. I saw one where they used coconut to make the wild crazy hair. I did the one that seemed the easiest with the least amount of mess. All I had to do was use the flower icing decorating tip, and it made the shape.

Reaction score
They look so cool! Did you just use a vanilla cupcake? I tried to make cookie cupcakes a few years ago, with chocolate chips in the cupcake then crushed up cookies in the buttercream frosting, with cookie stuck on similar to how you've done it, and they were far too sweet. I'm guessing a plainer base is the way forwards!

Reaction score
They look so cool! Did you just use a vanilla cupcake? I tried to make cookie cupcakes a few years ago, with chocolate chips in the cupcake then crushed up cookies in the buttercream frosting, with cookie stuck on similar to how you've done it, and they were far too sweet. I'm guessing a plainer base is the way forwards!
I used just an off brand box of yellow cake. It wasn't too sweet. I just wish I would have used better tasting cookies. Or maybe even homemade cookies.

Reaction score
Job well done! Very creative indeed especially since it's your first time doing cake decoration...i am looking forward to see some exceptional designs from you when you improve on your decorating skills.

Reaction score
Very nice nob! They look almost like the ones I saw on Pinterest ! I think you did a great job. I don't think I could get it that nicely :) Most of the things I see on Pinterest (that require decoration skills) never turn out right for me.

Reaction score
I've seen this in the internet before. It is very creative especially with the added chocolate chip cookies.

Ask a Question