Help with Converting Cookie Recipe to UK Grams

Reaction score
This is the recipe for a chewy soft cookie. I don't know what sites are reliable for converting to UK grams.

Can anyone do this the correct way for me please?
  • 8 tablespoons of salted butter
  • ½ cup white sugar (I like to use raw cane sugar with a coarser texture)
  • ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 egg
  • 1½ cups all purpose flour (more as needed - see video)
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ¼ teaspoon salt (but I always add a little extra)
  • ¾ cup chocolate chips (I use a combination of chocolate chips and chocolate chunks)
Thank you.

Reaction score
US to Metric Conversions
1/5 teaspoon = 1 ml (ml stands for milliliter, one thousandth of a liter)
1 teaspoon = 5 ml
1 tablespoon =15 ml
1 fluid oz. = 30 ml
1/5 cup = 50 ml
1 cup = 240 ml
2 cups (1 pint) = 470 ml
4 cups (1 quart) = .95 liter
4 quarts (1 gal.) = 3.8 liters
1 oz. = 28 grams
1 pound = 454 grams

Here is the site I got this off of....
http://startcooking.com/measurement-and-conversion-charts

Reaction score
ChesterV, you are on the ball again. I've come up against some recipes where I have to convert and I usually just Google it. I guess it would be good to save something so I always have a reference point of sorts. It happens when I find UK recipes and I end finding quite a few of them. I bookmarked the link you provided Chester. It's the first time I am seeing this one.

Reaction score
ChesterV, you are on the ball again. I've come up against some recipes where I have to convert and I usually just Google it. I guess it would be good to save something so I always have a reference point of sorts. It happens when I find UK recipes and I end finding quite a few of them. I bookmarked the link you provided Chester. It's the first time I am seeing this one.

Well, all I did was look for "European to American measuring chart" and I found that one that seemed to fit the bill in this instance. I was actually looking for a chart that could be printed out and taped up on the wall while baking or placed in a cookbook, but that was the closest thing I found.

Reaction score
In my experience, converting US recipes (which measure solids by volume) to a UK version (where solids are measured by weight and only liquids are measured by volume) is a real pain. Each ingredient has a different density, so it's a different conversion for each item.

If I were you, I'd buy a set up measuring cups and spoons - they are a pain to use if you're more familiar with using scales, but it saves having to convert every ingredient! Also measuring spoons are often used in UK recipes anyway, so they will always be useful.

Ask a Question