Cookies seem to break inside the oven

Reaction score
Hi. I hope everyone is doing well. I have a quick question. My cookies seem to “break” from some of its sides inside the oven. It happens when I use a silicone mat. What could be the problem? Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Use parchment paper.

Silicone mats conduct too much heat. And depending on the type of baking sheet you’re using, a coated pan, dark pan, and/or anodized aluminum will conduct additional heat.

Silicone mats are OK for macarons. But even with Macarons you may have to reduce the oven temperature.

For other cookies parchment paper is the way to go.

there are so many factors that go into how a cookie spreads. But the main factors include type of sugar; amount of sugar; fat; amount of fat; flour; protein content in flour; egg; amount of egg. Yet, all of these factors can be overridden by the heat. Too much heat causes the dough to set too soon and unevenly as the cookie is still rising and spreading.

parchment paper is cooler so allows for the cookie to bake more slowly and evenly.

Reaction score
Thank you. Would you think maybe keeping them less time in the oven would help? Parchment paper is difficult to come by in my country.

Reaction score
Thank you. Would you think maybe keeping them less time in the oven would help? Parchment paper is difficult to come by in my country.
If a silicone mat is your only option, reduce the oven temperature.

If you’re baking at 350°F (177°C; Gas Mark 4), try reducing to 325°F (163°C; Gas Mark 3).

It’s best to use an oven thermometer to check the temperature of the oven chamber before baking.

If you’re baking in a small countertop oven you’ll have a more difficult time controlling heat given the small oven chamber.

Bake to doneness, not time.

The cookie dough should be no higher than 72°F (22°C) after mixing, especially if this dough contains butter.

Ask a Question