Cookies won't freeze solid

Reaction score
I was given homemade, iced, sugar cookies. They were extremely soft when I got them, but very good. My friend said that they didn't hold their shape and spread quite a bit while baking. Also, they are a vegan recipe. I put some in the freezer, but they didn't freeze solid. Do you know why that is? Are they OK to eat? Will they not be safe to eat after a few months, like normal?

Reaction score
I was given homemade, iced, sugar cookies. They were extremely soft when I got them, but very good. My friend said that they didn't hold their shape and spread quite a bit while baking. Also, they are a vegan recipe. I put some in the freezer, but they didn't freeze solid. Do you know why that is? Are they OK to eat? Will they not be safe to eat after a few months, like normal?

You need to speak to the baker about proper storage and storage life. The ingredients determines the characteristics and performance of a product. When ingredients are substituted, it vastly changes flavor, texture, shape, shelf life, and storage. The only person who can answer your questions are the baker since they are the one who created the product.

Reaction score
You need to speak to the baker about proper storage and storage life. The ingredients determines the characteristics and performance of a product. When ingredients are substituted, it vastly changes flavor, texture, shape, shelf life, and storage. The only person who can answer your questions are the baker since they are the one who created the product.
Thank you. The baker is just a friend in her own home kitchen, so she's not sure. I appreciate your response.

Reaction score
Thank you. The baker is just a friend in her own home kitchen, so she's not sure. I appreciate your response.

Yeah I’m sorry I couldn’t help you. Sugar and salt are the two main ingredients that affect the freezing point of water. Sugar lowers the freezing point.

Egg and butter are generally the two sources of water in a cookie dough.

In a vegan recipe these are eliminated and replaced with other binders. These binders are often starches or gums mixed with water. If she used a starch, then starch retrogradation (releasing the water molecule) of both the flour and the starch will eventually occur, which causes degradation of the dough.

Ask a Question