Cool Whip experiment

Reaction score
I saw the Cool Whip cookies topic, and since we don't have Cool Whip in the UK I typed it into Google to find out exactly what it was... and in my searching, this blog came up:

Horrifying 12-day Cool Whip Experiment

So basically a guy left out some Cool Whip for 12 days, and it stayed looking exactly the same but turned into a kind of plastic - hard enough to draw a face on!!

day12smile.jpg

So it looks like freshly whipped cream is the healthy alternative - never thought I'd be saying that! :D :D :D

Reaction score
I love the taste of cool whip. It truly adds something to a variety of desserts. Never would I have dreamed of leaving it out to see what it would do. That it hardens like that it kind of spooky to think about.

Reaction score
That is creepy but I only use Cool Whip occasionally. I don't use it often enough for it to poison me. I prefer the taste of real whipped cream but sometimes Cool Whip is just cheaper and easier.

Reaction score
I don't use cool whip much but my daughter loves it. This is really scary and I think I better get my daughter used to real whipped cream from now on.

Reaction score
I guess it depends on how often she eats it - every so often is probably fine (and let's face it, sometimes a short cut is extremely handy!) ;)

Reaction score
I guess it depends on how often she eats it - every so often is probably fine (and let's face it, sometimes a short cut is extremely handy!) ;)

Right, a lot of foods have preservatives. Someone did a similar experiment with some McDonald's food and I think it stayed the same cosmetically too.
As long as you don't eat these things on a regular basis, you'll probably be okay.

Reaction score
I am really shocked about that also. I can't say for sure, it i think that if you don't eat it right away, it softens up, and kind of melts, but maybe I am thinking of regular whipped cream. I can't actually remember ever leaving cool whip sitting around. Pretty much we put it on the pie, or whatever, and consumed it immediately.
I wonder what prompted this person to leave the cool whip sitting t for almost two weeks ?
Did they think it was going to get hard, and were testing it out to see, or somehow just put it in a cupboard out of sight and forgot about it ?

Reaction score
I don't know about the Cool Whip, but at least in the case of the McDonald's hamburger they say it didn't rot because it had dried out, not because it was loaded with preservatives. (Which it is anyway, but even all those preservatives wouldn't have been enough to keep it from rotting if it had gotten wet or something. I find it much more disturbing that it didn't get all fly-riddled. Do the flies know something we don't?)

Reaction score
Right, a lot of foods have preservatives. Someone did a similar experiment with some McDonald's food and I think it stayed the same cosmetically too.
As long as you don't eat these things on a regular basis, you'll probably be okay.

I remember reading about the McD thing! I think it was the combination of preservatives and the fact it is so dry that it just dries out rather than going bad. Weird!

Reaction score
We are getting more and more chemical laden food, it seems like. And it is being offered to us as nourishing and healthful, while the plain old-fashioned fresh food is often condemned as being unsafe.
There are a lot of the good greens and veggies that ave been found with e-Coli ,or salmonella, so now people are afraid to have spinach, or even tomatoes.
Just yesterday, I read an article saying that fresh sprouts are not safe to eat, even when you sprout them yourself in your own kitchen. I have been sprouting for over 20 years, and never been sick from any bad sprouts, and they are one of the most healthful foods that a person can eat.

Ask a Question