Preventing Moisture Buildup in Chiffon Cakes

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to remove the cake pan from a chiffon cake before it completely cools?

I just baked a test gluten free chiffon cake. I cooled the cake upside down and left the pan on until it was completely cooled. When I removed the cake pan, I noticed the interior of the pan was very wet. Pic below. I make chiffon cakes all the time, both gluten-free and regular. Given the high percentage of egg whites to flour there is always some trace of moisture in the cake pan. But I’ve never seen this much moisture in a cake pan regardless of the type of cake.

Has anyone ever encountered a moisture issue like this with a cake? This is strange.

Interestingly the cake looks fine. It taste fine. But I don’t want that condensation building up in the pan as the cake cools.

I’d like to retest the cake tomorrow. I’m just wondering if the cake will collapse if I remove the pan after 15 or 20 minutes. I have always let chiffon cake cool completely before removing the pan.

Look at all that moisture :eek:
A126E093-D600-4E55-B254-F7D58183B95C.jpeg
0C7B1656-EF41-460C-8269-443CE1599FD9.jpeg

But the cake looks fine.
E16CA6AD-390C-4594-B831-84F4F3A95859.jpeg
2491CDF3-A00A-48EC-B1C4-D457D65F0BCF.jpeg

Reaction score
huh! Did you use a gluten free mix or a particular flour? I wonder if it somehow just trapped that moisture.

I know the gist of chiffon cakes, but not a lot of experience making them. I thought they usually had to be made in those fluted pans with the feet to invert them on, so it's interesting to see a whole layer.

Looks very nice. If you release it before it's completely cool, won't you risk it collapsing on its structure? Did you use parchment on the bottom?

Reaction score
I know I’m just so baffled by this. I’ve never seen this kind of moisture in a cake pan. And of course you know the first thing that runs through my OCD mind is it’s a hotbed for bacteria growth. So I definitely want to get rid of that moisture.

I make up my own blend of gluten-free flours. I’ve used that blend before many times and never had a problem. Normally when I make my GF chiffon cakes, I use a combination of kefir, coconut milk, and fruit juice for my liquid. Because I’m going to make a chai tea white chocolate ganache and caramel filling, I want the cake layers to be mocha and either almond or vanilla. So I thought I should use different liquids. So I went with buttermilk and full fat sour cream. I can’t imagine that these two ingredients would have significantly more water in them then the liquids I normally use.

Yes normally a chiffon cake is baked in a tube pan. The structure is very fragile so the center tube add support during the bake. But the Goddess of Cake seems to like me. She has never collapsed a chiffon cake on me despite my baking them in a regular cake pan. I’m very careful to never grease the pan. When the cake comes out of the oven the sides are always stuck to the pan as it should be. And in the cooling they always release.

You mention parchment. I always use parchment just as a rote motion in preparing a cake pan. Perchment is not normally used in a tube pan… I’m wondering maybe the parchment is affecting how the steam dissipate during cooling. You know something, you might be onto something here. I’m going to redo this cake. I’m gonna try it without parchment. I know chiffons release on the side without a greased pan, so it should release on the bottom without parchment or grease.

Interestingly the cake itself was not sticky, gooey, or gummy. It has almost has an angel food like cake texture. I was surprised given all the moisture. I left it wrapped in plastic overnight. I checked it several times throughout the morning. And it is just perfectly moist. And the cake taste so good I don’t want to change the ingredients if I can avoid it. The combination works for the flavor profile I want to create.

Reaction score
I think the parchment paper effects how the cake absorbs moisture and the condensation buildup during cooling. I baked a second cake. No parchment paper this time. There was no wet pan this time. I had to run an offset spatula around the inside edge because the cake did not release on its own. But it still came out of the pan intact.

Interestingly, it didn’t rise as much. And since the moisture was absorbed into the batter more completely, the texture is different. The bite is more spongy, with a longer bite. Yesterday’s cake is soft, with a very short bite.

Maybe I need to add more flour blend if I’m going to use the parchment paper. Try for slightly higher moisture absorption during baking and cooling so I don’t end up with the spongy texture. I certainly prefer the rise and texture of the wet pan cake.

I feel pretty certain the culprit is the parchment paper. I’m really glad you asked about the parchment. I’ve never even thought about it’s moisture repellent effects before this.

Cake baked without parchment paper. Lower rise, spongy texture. No moisture build up in pan.

E132CA36-29FC-4143-B1BC-D884B1133522.jpeg

Cake baked with parchment paper. Better rise, lighter texture. But excessive moisture in the pan.

E8E8BFC2-513B-4F28-BED4-BBB3DC5AECA7.jpeg

Reaction score
Interesting! Parchment does have to have a factor, as it can absorb a little liquid, and also if moisture gets beneath it it would semi trap it down there. I don't think the moisture would create bacteria that quickly - remember it's going to be quite hot as it separates, plus you're removing the cake from the pan within the hour or so (when it cools).

I'd go for the lighter cake every time.

Incidentally, is all parchment made the same? I ask because I recently found they have parchment at the dollar store, and I can't see anything inherently inferior to it, just don't know. My supermarket carries a store-brand parchment, but the roll is usually much wider than I need and that seems a bit wasteful. Wish their rolls were narrower in general. Also, watching Mary Berry and other UK cooking items on YouTube, I have heard her refer to parchment, also baking paper, kitchen paper, and greaseproof paper. I don't know if they're all the same... wait, I think kitchen paper is paper towels?

Reaction score
I was really surprised at the difference in moisture level based on the parchment paper. I’m really glad you mentioned the parchment.

I’m going to do another test tomorrow. Increase the amount of flour blend, and use the parchment paper.

As far as performance goes there is no real between brands of parchment paper when used for basic baking purposes. I have parchment paper purchased from retail stores and the restaurant supply store. I’ve used the Reynolds brand-name paper as well as the generic store paper. There’s no difference in performance.

The differences are in the use of bleached or unbleached paper. But regardless of paper type, all are coated with silicone to make them moisture and grease resistant.

I keep a roll of retail store parchment paper for travel. A roll of unbleached parchment for when I bake for those who have concerns about the use of bleach in all and any products.

For my every day use, I purchase a 1000 sheet box of full sheet size from the restaurant supply store, and precut parchment circles in various sizes because I’m simply too lazy and impatient to cut circles.

The commercial parchment paper is actually a bit thinner than the retail store papers.

Despite the differences in paper type and thickness, there’s really no difference in performance. So it just really comes down to price, availability, and personal preference for bleached or unbleached paper.

Commercial parchment paper sold in box of 1000 sheets

8CEC70B1-7F04-4EB0-BF7C-8F289D23E8E9.jpeg

Retail store brand—definitely thicker than the commercial paper

5CB65971-5078-437F-BAFD-F5D3D3FC3E0E.jpeg

Bleached and unbleached parchment paper

64105FCB-EDC4-4DB7-AEE8-E00617CBD560.jpeg

Reaction score
I wish someone would invent an bacteriaometer...I’m terrified of food poisoning.
I'm with you on this one. I drive my husband crazy! But after getting food poisoning in college, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Where do you get the parchment paper circles? I'm a bit lazy as well and it would be so much easier to get them pre-cut. I love my pre-cut parchment paper sheets for my baking trays!

Reaction score
I'm with you on this one. I drive my husband crazy! But after getting food poisoning in college, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Where do you get the parchment paper circles? I'm a bit lazy as well and it would be so much easier to get them pre-cut. I love my pre-cut parchment paper sheets for my baking trays!

Food poisoning is an extremely efficient teacher. Once you’ve been stricken with food poisoning, you will always think twice about how your food is prepared. My brother-in-law was once hospitalized for almost a week due to food poisoning. He was pumped full of antibiotics through an IV, then sent home with an additional 10 days worth of antibiotics. It can be very serious.

I purchased the precut parchment circles at the restaurant supply store. Some restaurant supply stores will only sell them in the 1000 count packages. The store I go to break them down into packs of a hundred.

I’ve seen them in some independent kitchenware stores, but never at any of the chain stores. They’re available online through a number of outlets, but I think King Arthur Flour has the better price since their pack has twice as many as other outlets.

I purchased them in 6”, 8“ and 10”.

The 6” and 8” work fine in 7” & 9” pans.

Ask a Question