Corn bread - do you prefer it savory or sweet?

Reaction score
Every time I make cornbread, I end up making 2 pans - one savory pan for myself and one sweet for my husband. I think it's because my grandparents came from the South, while my husband's grandparents were immigrants who settled in the North.

I've tried to split the difference and add 1/2 the amount of sugar he prefers, but the it's still too sweet for me, yet not sweet enough for him. *sigh*

How do you prefer your corn bread?

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums! :)

I prefer mine savoury, I usually make it with chopped jalapeno mixed in with the batter and top them with grated cheese before popping them in the oven. Recently I've also added some crispy fried pancetta too which is delicious!

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums! :)

I prefer mine savoury, I usually make it with chopped jalapeno mixed in with the batter and top them with grated cheese before popping them in the oven. Recently I've also added some crispy fried pancetta too which is delicious!
Oooh, that sounds yummy... *insert drooling smiley*

I like to mix in a cup of fresh or frozen corn kernels, and on rare occasion, some crumbled bacon. The corn makes the flavor a bit richer and adds fiber in an unobtrusive way. The bacon is just a sinful little treat. ;)

Reaction score
Every time I make cornbread, I end up making 2 pans - one savory pan for myself and one sweet for my husband. I think it's because my grandparents came from the South, while my husband's grandparents were immigrants who settled in the North.

I've tried to split the difference and add 1/2 the amount of sugar he prefers, but the it's still too sweet for me, yet not sweet enough for him. *sigh*

How do you prefer your corn bread?

I have to say I like them both and can't make up my mind which one I want sometimes, but if I had to pick a favorite I would pick the savory cornbread, I also like the fried cornbread it is really good too.

Reaction score
Savory every time. My cornbread turns into something else altogether. I add corn, red and green peppers, onions and yogurt or sour cream(in the batter). It is soo yummy!

Reaction score
I love sweet corn bread! I like to put maple syrup and butter on mine! Oh yum! Now my mouth is watering!

Reaction score
I really like corn bread both ways,too.... You just can't go wrong with corn bread, no matter which way you make it ! For me, it kind of depends on what I am eating it with. If it is chile, or something spicy like that, then I like the savory corn bread, with maybe corn, and red and green peppers in it.
If it is just to have with butter and honey or syrup, then I make the regular corn bread, and when I make plain beans, like navy beans, I usually have that with corn bread underneath the beans, and then maybe a little piece for dessert, with butter and sorghum on it. Nothing is better than corn bread and sorghum...yummy !

Reaction score
After living in Georgia I have decided that corn bread is much like grits. Some want it with cheese some want it with sugar and butter. I like my cornbread savory and my grits sweet.

Reaction score
I prefer my cornbread to be sweet, but not to sweet. I do not dip in anything or like it smothered, I eat it right out of the pan because I do not like soggy bread of any kind.

Reaction score
I grew up on a bit of the Jiffy cornbread mix, so I tend to like it a tad bit on the sweet side. However, I wouldn't scoff at other varieties. It's cornbread...let's eat! :)

Reaction score
I prefer my cornbread sweet with a little bit of butter. I make my cornbread from scratch instead from box. It is the best thing close to country cooking.

Reaction score
I think I like it both sweet and savoury. I think out of them both though I prefer savoury cornbread, sometimes the sweet cornbread can get a little sickly (if it's too sweet).

Reaction score
I've heard that this is happening to many bread recipes lately; people's palates are getting tuned towards sweeter versions of cornbread, soda bread etc. because of bread manufacturers putting corn syrup or sugar in their products. Personally I've found once I ate some cornbread made with sour cream, I didn't want to go back to the other kind, gritty kind.

Reaction score
I like sweet cornbread. I'm not a fan of jalapenos or bell peppers.
I wouldn't mind putting maple bacon in a sweet cornbread because sweet and bacon are a good combination.

Reaction score
I definitely prefer it sweet too. I've tried savoury cornbread with jalapeño and even caramelised onions but it wasn't to my liking.

Reaction score
I enjoy it savory. I had some spicy cornbread recently and I really enjoyed it. Nothing wrong with sweet cornbread too, who says you can't have both? There is a muffin shop that sells cornbread muffins and those are sweet but extremely good. Just talking about them makes me want to get a box right now.

Reaction score
I just asked my son and his girlfriend which they preferred, sweet or savoury cornbread, they both said sweet, of course. Then my son wanted to know if savoury was when you ran out of sugar. My family definitely has a sweet tooth, but now I’m carious and have to find a recipe for savoury cornbread and try it. I must say, no matter how hard I try, I can’t seem to make it as good as my Mom used to. Cornbread and homemade beans, wow I can still taste it.

Reaction score
I like mine sweet too. I have the yummiest recipe...so dense and moist! YUM! (now I want some, of course!) When I make mine I have to do two batches, too....but because one of my sons doesn't like bits of corn in his, and my favorite recipe calls for creamed corn to be added (hence the moisture.) Like you, I'd rather make two pans than NOT have the kind I like best!!

I've never had savory, though. Care to share the recipe?

Reaction score
I prefer my corn bread savory. I like to add cheese diced onions and red peppers. I also like to put in frozen fire roasted corn to punch up the flavor..

Reaction score
I have never heard to add so many things to cornbread and will have to try it. I usually make traditional cornbread and make both a whipped honey butter and a whipped garlic butter. That way you can have either sweet or savory and one pan of the cornbread.

Ask a Question