CornBread in a Breadmaker

Reaction score
I bought a breadmaker last year and I'm always trying out new things to make with it. I started making my cornbread with the breadmaker's quick bread setting and it comes out great. My mom is always like, it doesn't take much work to make cornbread so why am I using the machine? At first I wondered if there was a difference too, but I really do think it comes out better. Could also just be the recipe I'm using.. ;)

Reaction score
I've never tried to make cornbread in my bread oven. I don't think I would have ever given it a try, either. Any tips on the recipe?

I like using the bread machine for things because it's so much less cleanup afterwards. Plus, I can multitask while things are mixed and kneaded. No messy hands!

Reaction score
Here is the recipie I used. I used a half a cup of sugar, but I believe the original recipie used only 1/4th. My husband loves his cornbread sweet! I think that the vanilla might be a key in the difference. It also uses two eggs, I can't remember, but don't most recipes only use one? Last thing I do that could be a bit different, is that I use bread flour instead of just regular flour.

Cornbread

1 cup cornmeal
1 – 1/4 cup flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs – lightly beaten
1 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter or oil

Follow the instructions that came with your bread machine in terms of which ingredients to put in the machine first. Then select the cake setting with a light crust.

Reaction score
I think this is a great idea ! I love my bread machine, but have never even thought of making corn bread in it. I really like corn bread, but in the hot weather, we try not to use the oven unless absolutely necessary, because it just makes this old tin trailer that much harder to keep cool.
With the bread machine, it would not even heat up the house, so we could have corn bread anytime.

Reaction score
I have never seen vanilla in a cornbread recipe! As soon as our heatwave breaks I am definitely going to try this. Thanks for sharing.

Ask a Question