Cornbread: Scratch or Jiffy Mix?

Cornbread: Scratch or Jiffy Mix?

• Scratch - I don't bake using a mix.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I grew up making my cornbread from scratch. I used Alders Yellow Corn Meal as the base for my cornbread and added in flour, oil, egg, sugar and salt. It wasn't until college that I learned about Jiffy Mix. (Yes, I was a homemade girl.) My roommate preferred it and refused to try any other method.

Do you make your cornbread from scratch or Jiffy mix.

Albers-Yellow-Corn-Meal.gif
(The good stuff!)

Reaction score
I usually use jiffy out of convenience and it does taste good but by scratch it's always SO much better.

Reaction score
I always make my cornbread from scratch. I don't really like jiffy mix because it has a little sweetness to it, and I prefer my cornbread without sugar. My husband probably wouldn't even eat it if I used jiffy!

Reaction score
We don't make cornbread all that often in our house, but if we did, it woul be from scratch. I have tried the Jiffy's and the Marie Calendar's box but I was not fond of the texture.

Reaction score
When I am making sweet cornbread I will use Jiffy's mix. I do have a recipe for homemade but Jiffy's is quick and easy. When making savory cornbread I mix up my own. I love the Jiffy cornbread with chili and soup! Today is so cold that some soup sounds very good to eat right about now or some chili. I will have to make some cornbread too.

Reaction score
We've always use Jiffy mix in our home. Though, I want to start making my own cornbread from scratch. I'm going to look up some good recipes to follow from soon.

Reaction score
I actually like both. I use Jiffy when I am in a rush or when I don't feel in the mood to make anything from scratch. I also don't mind the sweet taste of Jiffy however when it comes to making corn bread from scratch I like how you can add your own little twist onto things. I add just a tiny amount of sugar to my home made batch and I love how fluffy the homemade can be compared to Jiffy.

Reaction score
I grew up making my cornbread from scratch. I used Alders Yellow Corn Meal as the base for my cornbread and added in flour, oil, egg, sugar and salt. It wasn't until college that I learned about Jiffy Mix. (Yes, I was a homemade girl.) My roommate preferred it and refused to try any other method.

Do you make your cornbread from scratch or Jiffy mix.

Albers-Yellow-Corn-Meal.gif
(The good stuff!)
Making corn bread from scratch is the way I do it. Not only does it taste better but it's also much healthier. Who knows what preservatives are in Jiffy mix? If you use natural ingredients such as flour, salt, eggs, sugar and oil; you know you won't be eating any preservatives.
I tend to avoid mixes whenever I bake anything. It's not that hard to bake from scratch, and it sure tastes a lot better.

Reaction score
I like cornbread from scratch and Jiffy. My grandmother would make her buttermilk cornbread from scratch. My mother always made Jiffy cornbread for dinner. I make Jiffy cornbread at my home. I like the sweetness of Jiffy's cornbread. It's really good with collard greens and pork chops. I prepare buttermilk cornbread sometimes but not often.

Ask a Question