Cornbread with Jalapeño pepper

Reaction score
I was rummaging through my recipes this morning when I came across this slightly different recipe for Cornbread with a jalapeño pepper in it. It took my fancy so I thought I would post it here.

Ingredients
250g/9oz fine yellow cornmeal (maize meal is another name for it in the UK)
115g/4oz plain flour
50g/1¾oz caste sugar (fine sugar)
1tsp salt
1tbsp baking powder (no that is not a typo - it is a tablespoon!)
2 eggs
200g/7oz butter/marg/dairy free marg, melted
300ml/½pt milk (or dairy free alternative)
1 jalapeño pepper

Method
  • Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7
  • Grease and 23cm spring form cake tin.
  • Sift together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt and baking powder together in a large bowl.
  • Beat together the eggs, melted butter/marg, milk and jalapeño pepper in a separate bowl/jug
  • Pour the milk/egg mixture into the cornmeal mixture and beat together so that it forms a smooth batter.
  • Pour said batter into the greased spring form tin and put into the oven for 30 minutes until golden
  • Allow to cool in the tin, then remove and serve.

Probably best served with a soup/stew/casserole that compliments the jalapeño pepper.

Reaction score
I have a similar recipe, but mine has more jalapeño pepper in it ;) Very good! If done right this can be enjoyed on its own, it's a very filling bread! Very tasty! I honestly prefer this variety over the sweet one. I never really liked the sweet corn bread :) But the salty spicy one... like yours... so yummy!!!

Reaction score
Yum. My old boss used to make the most wonderful jalapeno cornbread. He substituted sour cream or buttermilk for the milk and he added cheddar cheese. His cornbread was always so perfect. Crisp golden brown edges and soft in the middle. Man, it was good. Now I want some.

Reaction score
Yum. My old boss used to make the most wonderful jalapeno cornbread. He substituted sour cream or buttermilk for the milk and he added cheddar cheese. His cornbread was always so perfect. Crisp golden brown edges and soft in the middle. Man, it was good. Now I want some.
I'm allergic to dairy, so I have a habit of posting only recipes that are dairy free or have a dairy free option to them, but I do know of some really nice breads involving cheese which I can dig out for you and post when I have chance. I used to be able to eat dairy so I know they are exceptionally nice and tasty. In fact I am now thinking of the honey and sunflower bread that I used to make... I'm sure it could be modified if I can track down the recipe again.

Reaction score
Well, that makes sense. I didn't realize you couldn't have dairy. I guess that is one of the things that helps you get so creative, since you have to look for alternatives. Thanks, I look forward to seeing your other posts sometime.

Corn bread is just one of those versatile things that you can make a number of ways, and all of them are good.

Ask a Question