Cornbread

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on cornbread? Like it or not? For some reason cornbread kinda reminds me of my mother's carrot cake, I mean, they are both vegetables and we use them to make sweet cakes and bread. Have any of you actually tried it? I have, it's not bad at all :) I come from a place where we prepare a lot sweet stuff with vegetables :p

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on cornbread? Like it or not? For some reason cornbread kinda reminds me of my mother's carrot cake, I mean, they are both vegetables and we use them to make sweet cakes and bread. Have any of you actually tried it? I have, it's not bad at all :) I come from a place where we prepare a lot sweet stuff with vegetables :p

I am from the south and we love cornbread! Do you have a favorite recipe that you would like to share?

Reaction score
I like corn bread, especially when I have it with soup,or even better, with a nice pot of beans and ham. I do not make it very sweet, but I do put a little sweetener in it. Sometimes, I make it with green peppers or jalapeño and corn in the recipe, and I think that goes especially well with the bean soup.
I also like to have a piece of cornbread with butter and honey, or sorghum on it, or molasses when I have it.
Any way you fix it, corn bread is good eating !

Reaction score
I like corn bread, especially when I have it with soup,or even better, with a nice pot of beans and ham. I do not make it very sweet, but I do put a little sweetener in it. Sometimes, I make it with green peppers or jalapeño and corn in the recipe, and I think that goes especially well with the bean soup.
I also like to have a piece of cornbread with butter and honey, or sorghum on it, or molasses when I have it.
Any way you fix it, corn bread is good eating !

Yes corn bread with my homemade vegetable beef soup or with chili or just like you said a pot of beans and hams.

Reaction score
Corn bread is a major staple in the south, and personally I really enjoy it. I like it especially eating it with greens or some other dish. I also like the fact that it can be cooked a variety of ways: kernel corn can be added, hot peppers ect... lots of variety.

Reaction score
Until I met my husband I never remember eating cornbread. His family makes it with almost every meal, even spaghetti. That drives me crazy! But I've adapted and learned how to make it. I used to do the jiffy mix, but now I make it from scratch. I like cornbread, but just not with everything I eat. I agree with others, that it tastes great with soup and chilli dishes.

Reaction score
I am from the south and we love cornbread! Do you have a favorite recipe that you would like to share?
My whole family loves cornbread. I think the key is to not make it too grainy. The grainy texture tends to turn people off. We use to own a BBQ restaurant and served cornbread. Here is the recipe that we used in our restaurant. Hope you enjoy it.

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
2 tbls sugar
4 teas baking powder
1 teas salt
1 cup milk
1/4 cup oil or melted shortening
1 egg
1/2 cup of honey

Heat oven to 425. Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in remaining ingredients and mix by hand until smooth. Pour batter into an 8 or 9 inch square pan. Bake for approximately 18 to 22 minutes. Makes about 10 servings.

Reaction score
My whole family loves cornbread. I think the key is to not make it too grainy. The grainy texture tends to turn people off. We use to own a BBQ restaurant and served cornbread. Here is the recipe that we used in our restaurant. Hope you enjoy it.

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
2 tbls sugar
4 teas baking powder
1 teas salt
1 cup milk
1 egg
1/2 cup of honey

Heat oven to 425. Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in remaining ingredients and mix by hand until smooth. Pour batter into an 8 or 9 inch square pan. Bake for approximately 18 to 22 minutes. Makes about 10 servings.

Wow! thank you very much for the recipe!

Reaction score

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
2 tbls sugar
4 teas baking powder
1 teas salt
1 cup milk
1 egg
1/2 cup of honey

Thanks for sharing this recipe from your restaurant. I like sweet cornbread. I'm not a fan of the savory kind. This recipe looks great.

Reaction score
I've had cornbread with chopped gizzards mixed into it. It was surprisingly good. It reminded me of stuffing that might be served on Thanksgiving.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Oh my that looks devine! I am quite sure that hubby is going to love this recipe. Cornbread, maple and bacon are all wonderful ingredients! LOL I need to start following you on Pinterest. Care to share your link?

Are you conservative? I have an art and illustration board and two people reported my pins of paintings of naked geisha and nude angels because apparently these people are easily offended.
On my inspirational quote board, a couple of the quotes about going after what you want in life have curse words in them.
If you don't mind a couple of bad words and some nude artwork, I wouldn't mind sharing my link at all. I have some good food and drink recipes pinned and 4 of my boards are food related.

Reaction score
Are you conservative? I have an art and illustration board and two people reported my pins of paintings of naked geisha and nude angels because apparently these people are easily offended.
On my inspirational quote board, a couple of the quotes about going after what you want in life have curse words in them.
If you don't mind a couple of bad words and some nude artwork, I wouldn't mind sharing my link at all. I have some good food and drink recipes pinned and 4 of my boards are food related.

Those things will not bother me at all! If I find anything offensive I overlook it and I doubt that I will find anything offensive. ;)

Reaction score
Those things will not bother me at all! If I find anything offensive I overlook it and I doubt that I will find anything offensive. ;)

I sent you a PM with the link to my Pinterest boards. I hope you find some recipes on my boards that you can use.

Reaction score
As a Southerner I had to look at a thread on cornbread. You just need some collards and hopin John, maybe some ham or fried catfish to go along with it.

Reaction score

I know this is not a reply, but I honestly do not know where to place it. Perhaps you can me where to place this.

I'm trying to make corn bread like my Mon did, and hope someone can tell me how she may have made. It was poured onto a large iron pan, very thin (perhaps 1/4 inch at middle areas, with no cake like inside. It was too tough, but not crumbly, yellow color. I was great with a bit off butter.
Every thing I see here has more ingredients.
I'd love to be able to make for my Grand kids.

Thanks for any advice.

Reaction score
We like to add a couple tablespoons of raw organic honey, shredded sharp cheddar and some green chiles to our standard cornbread recipe for a special treat.

We live in the north but often visit the south because we have family there. One big thing I've noticed is that Sourthern cornbread is NOT sweet. Now I am a big fan of southern food - can we say chocolate gravy? :D - but I just have not enjoyed the non sweetened versions of cornbread I've tried so far.

Might just be a mental thing!

Reaction score
We like to add a couple tablespoons of raw organic honey, shredded sharp cheddar and some green chiles to our standard cornbread recipe for a special treat.

We live in the north but often visit the south because we have family there. One big thing I've noticed is that Sourthern cornbread is NOT sweet. Now I am a big fan of southern food - can we say chocolate gravy? :D - but I just have not enjoyed the non sweetened versions of cornbread I've tried so far.

Might just be a mental thing!

No it’s not a mental thing. Southern cornbread is just awful. But it’s because of the cornmeal itself.

Traditionally cornbread in the entire US was made without sugar or wheat flour. Both additions were added by Northerners after the 1920’s.

The southern no wheat, no sugar cornbread recipes reflect the use of stone ground cornmeal. Up until the 1930s corn was stone ground. Stone milling preserved most of the kernel. Now corn is steel ground, which separates the kernel. The heat generated by the steel rollers also destroys all the flavor and a lot of the nutrients.

Traditionally, they also used a different variety of corn. It was a white corn, not yellow, with a high sugar content. It was harvested ripe, so it produced a sweet cornmeal. The corn used today is yellow and harvested unripe so the sugars have not developed.

The yellow steel ground cornmeal produces a dry, bland, low rising cornbread. When this type of cornmeal hit the market, cooks outside of the south begin to add flour for better rise, and sugar for flavor. Despite the changes in the quality of the cornmeal, Southerners never changed the way they made cornbread.

My grandmother was a southerner but cornbread was something she did not make often. I was not a fan. My best friend’s mother was also a southerner, Mississippian, but she made northern style cornbread. To me that was a bit more tolerable but I still was not a fan.

As an adult I’ve baked northern style cornbread using the additions of wheat flour and sugar. But still wasn’t much of a fan. But now I cannot eat wheat, so cornbread hasn’t made an appearance in my house for some years. But it’s something I’ve been contemplating.

Over the weekend I baked several batches of cornbread substituting wheat flour with a gluten-free blend. I was very disappointed in the results. I tossed all three batches out. Since Southern style cornbread is naturally gluten-free, I decided to look for stone ground white cornmeal.

I found one mill: Anson Mills. The owner, Glenn Roberts, sought out the heirloom white corn that had been traditionally cultivated in the south. He uses cold milling to preserve the flavor. I’m really excited. I can’t wait to try this cornmeal. I’m hopeful.

http://ansonmills.com/biographies

Ask a Question