Cornbread

Discussion in 'Bread' started by Trellum, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Trellum

denisa Member

Norcalbaker59, how was it? Were you able to try the cornbread made with the Anson Mills?

denisa, Mar 12, 2018
    Norcalbaker59 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Trellum

Norcalbaker59 Well-Known Member

I made two batches to take to a barbecue. I made yankee style (flour added) since that is what everyone was used too. Everyone kept telling me to make it gluten-free so I could eat it. So I made one batch with a King Arthur GF blend to replace the wheat flour. The second batch I blended sorghum, rice flour, and potato starch to replace the wheat. Ughh. It was really gritty. Everyone said it tasted good but the texture was terrible because of the gluten free flours.

After I thought about it I realized using white rice flour was a mistake. Cornbread doesn’t have a lot of moisture. Rice flour is notoriously gritty if it doesn’t get a lot of moisture and time to fully hydrate.

So next time I’ll try it straight up Southern style with no other flour.

Norcalbaker59, Mar 13, 2018
    denisa likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Trellum

denisa Member

I'm sure it will taste delicious! Good luck, Norcalbaker59! Thanks for the update!

denisa, Mar 14, 2018
    Norcalbaker59 likes this.
  4. Trellum

bellevueace Member

Ive never had Cornbread but would like to make it, looking online there are so many differing recipes, what I would like is a traditional southern cornbread, with so many variations what actually would this be?

bellevueace, Mar 16, 2018
  5. Trellum

Norcalbaker59 Well-Known Member

Southern cornbread will not contain sugar or wheat flour. It’s baked in a cast iron skillet.

Norcalbaker59, Mar 16, 2018
    bellevueace likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question