Cornbreads

Reaction score
Not all cornbread or corn flours/corn meals are made alike.

Most people think there is only yellow corn meals and yellow cornbread, but there are more than just yellow.

Yellow
White
Red
Blue
and even Purple

There are different grinds of cornmeal as well.
Course
Medium
Fine
Floured

ears-colored-corn.png

Cornbread Recipes

Reaction score
Classic Grandma's Cornbread

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2/3 cup white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8 inch square pan.
  2. Melt butter in large skillet. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Quickly add eggs and beat until well blended. Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture in pan. Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and few lumps remain. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
2077366.jpg

Reaction score
Mexican Style Cornbread

Ingredients
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup corn oil
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1 (8 ounce) can cream-style corn
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8 inch square baking dish or a cast iron skillet.
  2. In a small bowl, beat eggs. Mix in corn oil and buttermilk. Stir in 1 cup shredded cheese, creamed corn, onion, and jalapenos.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Stir the egg mixture into the dry ingredients. Mix well. Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese on top.
  4. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until center is set and top is golden brown.
dbe88510f23c0d50ec231b0a4623f4dc.jpg

Reaction score
Easy Creamed Corn Cornbread

INGREDIENTS
    • 1 cup yellow cornmeal
    • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
    • 3 tablespoons sugar
    • 3/4 teaspoon salt
    • 3/4 cup canned creamed corn
    • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted, cooled slightly
    • 1 large egg, beaten to blend

PREPARATION
    1. Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 400°F. Butter 8-inch square baking pan. Whisk cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl to blend. Add creamed corn, butter and egg. Stir just until blended. Spoon batter into pan.
    2. Bake until edges begin to pull away from pan sides and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool in pan on rack.
shutterstock_47251285.jpg

Reaction score
Chili Cornbread

INGREDIENTS

• CHILI
    • 1 lb ground beef
    • 1 cup onion ( chopped)
    • 1/2 cup green pepper ( chopped, I often add more)
    • 1 garlic clove ( minced)
    • 1 (16 ounce) cans red kidney beans ( rinsed and drained)
    • 1 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
    • 1 (35 g) packages taco seasoning mix ( package size likely varies from brand to brand)
    CORN BREAD
    • 1 cup flour
    • 1 cup yellow cornmeal
    • 2 tablespoons sugar
    • 3 teaspoons baking powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1 (8 ounce) cans creamed corn
    • 1/2 cup milk
    • 1 egg
    • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 350 - grease a 2 quart casserole.
  2. In large pan over medium heat cook ground beef, onions, pepper and garlic until meat is browned - drain.
  3. Stir in beans, tomato sauce and taco seasoning; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
  4. In medium bowl: combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt; mix well.
  5. In small bowl: combine corn, milk and egg - beat well and add to dry ingredients.

DIRECTIONS
  1. Spoon half of the cornbread mixture into greased casserole; sprinkle with half the cheese.
  2. Spoon chili over cheese; sprinkle with remaining half of the cheese.
  3. Spoon remaining corn bread mixture evenly over the cheese spreading gently to cover.
  4. Bake at 350 for 30 to 40 minutes or until top is golden brown.
92391-lg.jpg

Reaction score
Broccoli Cheese Cornbread

Ingredients
  • 1 cup cottage cheese
  • 3/4 cup butter, melted
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 (8.5 ounce) packages corn bread/muffin mix
  • 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
  2. Beat cottage cheese, butter, and eggs in a large bowl. Stir corn bread mixes into butter mixture until just moistened. Fold in broccoli, onion, and 1 cup Cheddar cheese. Pour batter into prepared baking dish and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool in the baking dish for 10 minutes before slicing and serving warm.
Broccoli-Cornbread-Squares.jpg

Reaction score
Cornbread "Tricks"

*Adding sugar to cornbread helps take the bitterness out - two tablespoons per 9x13 pan recipe usually does the trick, without making it sweet.

*You don't need to use sugar, you can use honey or an artificial sweetener - but be warned, the artificial sweetener can slightly change the taste and if you add too much, will give you a sickly sweet taste.

*Use butter or margarine (melted) mixed into the batter for more "moist" cornbread.

*Use room temp cream cheese or a small carton of sour cream to make cornbread more "creamy".

*One can of sweet cream style corn added to the batter for a 9x13 pan sized recipe will give you enough sweet to take the bitter out and give you the moisture.

*Adding chopped or shredded veggies of any sort will pump up your cornbread! Corn, carrots, peppers, onions, squashes, and zucchini's usually work the best.

*Old, dried out, or "didn't come out right" cornbread can be used for a variety of other recipes.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I made cornbread topped chilli recently and it was great! Never tried it before like that, I usually just make cornbread muffins.

Reaction score
Honey Cornbread Muffins

Ingredients

1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk
2 large eggs
1/2 stick butter, melted
1/4 cup honey
Special equipment: paper muffin cups and a 12-cup muffin tin

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Into a large bowl, mix the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the whole milk, eggs, butter, and honey. Add the wet to the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed.
Place muffin paper liners in a 12-cup muffin tin. Evenly divide the cornbread mixture into the papers. Bake for 15 minutes, until golden.

5e9600ba8322bc8d06057ef8c4f00a84.jpg

Reaction score
Cornbread Pancakes

Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup cornmeal
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
Directions
  1. Whisk flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk buttermilk, eggs and butter in a separate large bowl. Stir the liquid mixture into the dry mixture until blended and smooth.
  2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or skillet over medium-high heat. For each pancake, pour 1/4 cup batter on griddle and cook until browned, about 1 1/2 minutes. Flip and cook until browned on the other side, about 1 minute. Continue with remaining batter.
894755.jpg

Reaction score
Paula Deen's Herbed Cornbread

Ingredients
  • 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 3/4 cup self-rising flour
  • 1 1/4 cups self-rising cornmeal
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 6 tablespoons butter, melted
Preparation
Preheat oven to 425°. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Combine eggs, milk and butter in a separate bowl, and add to the bowl of dry ingredients, stirring until just moistened. Pour batter into a lightly greased 9-inch pan. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.

6a00d83451fa5069e2015390de892d970b-pi

Reaction score
Basic Southern Cornbread
(suitable for using as batter for frying)

Use this recipe for making your own corny dogs, batter dipped veggies, or any other batter dipped and fried goodies.

For dipping batter:

Ingredients
  • 2 cups cornmeal
  • 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons butter (leave out if making dipping batter)
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Whisk together the cornmeal, buttermilk, vegetable oil, and egg in a bowl to form a batter.
  2. For the batter to stick to the item being fried, it is better to have them as dry as possible, frozen if possible (or really cold), and "dusted" with corn flour or regular flour. This allows the batter to stick a lot better and also not slide off while frying.
For making skillet cornbread....
  1. Melt the butter in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat, and swirl the melted butter all over the bottom and up the sides of the skillet. Let the butter heat until it gives off a faint toasted fragrance; pour the batter into the hot skillet.
  2. Place the skillet into the preheated oven, and bake until golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
corn-dogs2.jpg

Reaction score
Chesters Cornbread
(can also be used for muffins or fry batter)

Ingredients
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 2 teaspoons onion powder (or chopped dried onions or chives)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 3/4 cup lowfat buttermilk
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  2. In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and soda. Combine eggs, buttermilk, honey, and oil; add slowly to the dry ingredients. Mix until blended. If making muffins - Pour into non-stick muffin cups, making them about two-thirds full.
  3. Bake until golden, about 20 to 25 minutes. If making muffins - Remove the muffins from the pan and cool completely.
5260495435_0ae6ff0873.jpg

You can also add 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder, red pepper flakes, or basil.....
or substitute with any of the other herbs/spices.

Reaction score
Granny Annies Cornbread Dressing

Ingredients
  • 1 (16 ounce) package dry corn bread mix
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 teaspoon celery seeds
  • 1 small onion
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil or parsley
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups chicken stock
  • 2 tablespoons dried sage
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions
  1. Prepare the dry corn bread mix according to package directions. Cool and crumble.
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 9x13 inch baking dish.
  3. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and saute the onion until soft.
  4. In a large bowl, combine the ingredients and mix well.
  5. Place into prepared dish and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.

For super moist dressing, add one can of sweet creamed corn.
For meaty dressing, add one cup of cooked, finely chopped giblets.

Classic-Cornbread-Dressing.jpg

For something special, bake in a bundt pan (baking time may take longer), then turn out onto serving plate. Guests can slice a piece of dressing like cake.

Reaction score
I'm craving cornbread now.

All of the cornbread dressings I've seen also call for bread, so I've never made it. I don't want to make cornbread, bread, AND dressing. But just cornbread and then dressing sounds doable.

Reaction score
Have been brainstorming for foods to take to our friends' Halloween party (for all grownups). In addition to key lime mousse cups (hopefully tinted a spooky bright green and in beakers, with a lighter green whipped cream froth on top), and some goblin meringues, I was wondering whether this would work: cornbread baked in a mini pumpkin mold, and with some sort of savory "surprise" bite in the middle like chili. I just don't know if cornbread baked in advance and served at room temperature would be appealing. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Have been brainstorming for foods to take to our friends' Halloween party (for all grownups). In addition to key lime mousse cups (hopefully tinted a spooky bright green and in beakers, with a lighter green whipped cream froth on top), and some goblin meringues, I was wondering whether this would work: cornbread baked in a mini pumpkin mold, and with some sort of savory "surprise" bite in the middle like chili. I just don't know if cornbread baked in advance and served at room temperature would be appealing. Any ideas?

You can make pumpkin shaped cornbreads with a bit of pumpkin color food coloring in it. I would suggest if you want them as a treat and not a side dish, you can make a pumpkin/creamcheese mixture and use your piping bag to put some in the middle. Kind of like a cornbread cupcake I guess.

I would also put a bit of sugar or honey in them and the filling. Hopefully no one will be allergic to the honey if you use that.

Or

You can make Halloween cornbread.

Make some pumpkin colored cornbread with juliennes of tomato and green olives in it. Peel and julienne the tomatoes, and I would get the small green olives with the pimentos in the middle.

I would pour half the batter into the baking dish, then layer the julienned tomatoes and olives in the middle, then cover it with the rest of the batter.

The julienned tomatoes can be "congealed blood" and the olives can be "eyeballs".

Serve with some homemade butters--
honey butter
garlic butter
dill butter
(suggestions)

Hope that gets the ideas flowing for you:D

Reaction score
Thanks! I really thought about it for a while then realized that even I'm not really wowed by cornbread unless it's piping hot out of the oven, and that's hard to execute at someone else's home. I've been experimenting instead with gougères (choux cheese puffs), which I have fallen in love with. Just trying to get some really good cheese flavor into them! I thought about trying to make them look like pumpkins but they are just lovely as they are.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack Sr

Latest Threads