Cracked cheesecake

how do I keep my cheesecake from cracking?

• High Temp short bake time with a long cool down in oven

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • low temp long bake time

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever had a cheesecake crack on me.

Of course, Norcalbaker is an established professional, as I have learned everything on my own or from my granny.

I use the old fashioned method......I bake till the top turns the shade of light brown I want. The different shades of brown on top will depend on what kind of cake you want........soft, medium, or firm.

I even worked with one lady who's husband made cheesecakes at home as a hobby. He would bake normally, and then broil for 30 seconds to one minute to seal in the top of the cheesecake by turning it a nice caramel color. He perfected this method, and his cheesecakes tasted so much better than any of mine did!

Reaction score
Avoid whipping too much air into your beaten eggs also for a cheesecake. Make sure you start with room temperature cream cheese and eggs to allow for more even mixing.

Reaction score
Totally agree with the water bath, room temp ingredients and not over beating!

If I forget to bring ingredients to room temp I do the following:

- Cream cheese gets unwrapped and set on plate, two blocks at a time, in microwave on defrost for no more than 20 seconds at a time. I flip them and repeat. Once they start to soften a bit I break each block in half. I continue on defrost, reducing time to 10 seconds or less until I have it nice and soft. Then I do the other bricks the same way. If part of the cream cheese is way soft and the rest is firm I scrape the soft part off into the mixing bowl to avoid over zapping it. Obviously NOT the best way to do things but in a pinch I've done it - and more than once :oops: - and still had the recipe turn out as desired.

- Eggs get set in a bowl of warm water for about 10 minutes - until I can hold them and feel the chill is off the shell

- Salted Butter - on plate in microwave on defrost for 10 seconds or less at a time, flipping as needed until soft

- Unsalted Butter - run very hot water into a tall glass that will fit over the stick of butter when set upright on it's end. Once the glass is good and hot, dry it off and set it over the unwrapped stick of butter. It will soften in about 5 minutes. You can reheat the glass and set it back over the butter for a while if needed.

- Sour Cream - I don't like letting this sit out. What do others do? I've taken to cooking mine in the microwave for a short amount of time, stirring, then back in for another short burst, repeating until the chill is off. This has been working pretty well for me.

I also line cheesecake pan with parchment paper on both bottom AND sides and spritz with cooking spray.

I haven't had a cracked cheesecake in a long time using all the above!

Ask a Question