Cranberry Banana Bread

Reaction score
I posted the recipe for the Cranberry Banana Muffins, then realized I wanted to make a quick bread instead. I saw @Winterybella say she couldn't find her muffin pans, so I'm posting this Cranberry Banana Bread recipe for her, as well as everyone else, of course. I made it the other day, and it came out really delicious. It's the perfect way to usher in the Fall season, and my next project will probably involve pumpkin, so stay tuned!

Ingredients
  • 1/3 cup shortening
  • dollar-green2.png
    2/3 cup sugar
  • dollar-green2.png
    2 eggs
  • 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
  • dollar-green2.png
    1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup cinnamon graham cracker crumbs (about 2 whole crackers)
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
Directions
  1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in bananas. Combine the flour, cracker crumbs, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Fold in walnuts and cranberries. Pour into a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan.
  2. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
Originally published as Cranberry Banana Bread in Simple & Delicious November/December 2008, p35

Attachments

• Cranberry Banana Bread (2).jpg
    Cranberry Banana Bread (2).jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 395
Reaction score
:) I ought to try this if only because it was presented with me in mind. I thank you Diane Lane. I have been trying to stay away from the baking but last weekend gave in to some whole wheat scones.

I just zoomed in on the bread and it so looks like something my family would love. Thank you again.

Reaction score
:) I ought to try this if only because it was presented with me in mind. I thank you Diane Lane. I have been trying to stay away from the baking but last weekend gave in to some whole wheat scones.

I just zoomed in on the bread and it so looks like something my family would love. Thank you again.

@Winterybella :eek: It's the Fall, that means you have to bake, it's not optional! Just kidding, of course, but at least if you're going to bake, you could bake something somewhat healthy, like this. I love baking banana bread itself, but my absolute favorite is when I add other fruit, such as blueberries or cranberries. It just gives the finished product an added dimension. The cranberries give it a slightly tart addition, and of course the blueberries give it a slight sweetness. Both are yummy. It's good for breakfast with a nice cup of coffee or tea, and also for lunch, snack, or dessert. I love versatile foods that I can serve and eat pretty much anytime.

Hmm, now that you mentioned scones, I might have to look for a recipe for cranberry scones, since I still have plenty on hand.

Reaction score
Diane, I am sure I have a Cranberry scone recipe somewhere. My computer is not cooperating with me much recently, but I will find one for you. I actually used some cranberries in some scones I made. I had a few hanging around and just dropped them in.

It's been scorching sun for months, and then some rain started showing up recently causing some flooding. Guess this is our "Fall".....I would love to fall into my bed right about now but I have to set a good example and show up to work for the young ones. Found something for you below.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cranberry-scones

Reaction score
This banana bread sounds great! I have started to really like this kind of bread quite recently, after seeing that you don't have to eat it plain, because there is a myriad of combinations you can try to make this recipe even more tasty =D

Reaction score
This banana bread sounds great! I have started to really like this kind of bread quite recently, after seeing that you don't have to eat it plain, because there is a myriad of combinations you can try to make this recipe even more tasty =D

You have to try it Trellum. As with scones, banana bread is a favourite of mine. I thnk I mentioned in another thread that I made a plain banana bread yesterday and I might have to make another today as it's probably all gone. I have to get some cranberries for this one. This bread has to be delicious. It has no choice in the matter.

Reaction score
You have to try it Trellum. As with scones, banana bread is a favourite of mine. I thnk I mentioned in another thread that I made a plain banana bread yesterday and I might have to make another today as it's probably all gone. I have to get some cranberries for this one. This bread has to be delicious. It has no choice in the matter.

Have you checked my banana bread recipe with dark chocolate chips I shared a few days ago? Dark chocolate is good for you ;) I actually want to try that one :) I might when I am in my new home ;) I like the idea of having something tasty ready to go in the morning.

Reaction score
Diane, I am sure I have a Cranberry scone recipe somewhere. My computer is not cooperating with me much recently, but I will find one for you. I actually used some cranberries in some scones I made. I had a few hanging around and just dropped them in.

It's been scorching sun for months, and then some rain started showing up recently causing some flooding. Guess this is our "Fall".....I would love to fall into my bed right about now but I have to set a good example and show up to work for the young ones. Found something for you below.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cranberry-scones

Ahh, Taste of Home is my favorite recipe site! Thanks, I'll have to check out the recipe. I love scones, and haven't had them in forever. I would love to make some cranberry scones. Hopefully I have what I need on hand so I can make them soon :).

Reaction score
Have you checked my banana bread recipe with dark chocolate chips I shared a few days ago? Dark chocolate is good for you ;) I actually want to try that one :) I might when I am in my new home ;) I like the idea of having something tasty ready to go in the morning.

I must have missed that. My son has always told me that dark chocolate is good for me. Way back when I used to see the word chocolate and think I should steer clear of it but I've come to appreciate there is chocolate and there is chocolate.

Diane, just having the cranberries on hand is half of the job done. I suspect all of the other ingredients are going to be things you already have on hand.

Reaction score
@Winterybella Yes, actually dark chocolate is good for our heart and is full of antioxidants :) I still have to get used to eat on its own, but I think it's much better to eat it in this kind of recipes. The highest the cacao percentage the better :)

Reaction score
My mom sent me lots of ripe bananas. I'll have to freeze some if I don't want them to spoil on me. I think I'll be forced to do some banana bread this weekend. If I find the time I'll get me some muffin pans as whatever I had seems to have disappeared forever.

Ask a Question