Cranberry Scones

Reaction score
The weather's been a bit iffy here, between high water, high winds, and Hurricane Patricia moving into Mexico. Flash floods are in the forecast, so I'm going to hunker down here at home and do some baking.

My last batch of Cranberry Scones came out well, especially after I made some adjustments, so I'm planning to make another, bigger batch. The original recipe only makes 4 scones, which isn't nearly enough, especially since I love to bake and freeze things for later. I figure I'll double or triple the recipe, since I'll also be sharing with a friend.

The adjustment I made was to add more flour, about 1/3 cup, to make the dough stiffer. I used my hands to mix the ingredients, and that may have caused the butter to melt, so if you use a pastry blender or other instrument, the extra flour might not be necessary, but it didn't affect the taste at all.

TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min.
MAKES: 4 servings
Ingredients
  • My Savings Add to Grocery List
    Nutritional Facts

1 scone equals 310 calories, 13 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 84 mg cholesterol, 328 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Directions
  1. In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, combine milk and 2 tablespoons beaten egg; add to crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in cranberries.
  2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead gently 6-8 times. Pat into a 6-in. circle. Cut into four wedges. Separate wedges and place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Brush with remaining egg; sprinkle with coarse sugar.
  3. Bake at 425° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.Yield: 4 scones.
Originally published as Cranberry Scones in Cooking for 2 Spring 2008, p15

Attachments

• cranberry scones.jpg
    cranberry scones.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 432
Reaction score
I'm afraid something happened to the ingredients list, because I can't see it. The scones look great, but I really hope you can publish the ingredients soon. It's great you could include how many calories each scone provides too :)

Reaction score
Like Trellum I would be interested in seeing the recipe. I can find some online but I would prefer to see what you did and then again I like the idea of making only four. My son isn't a fan and my husband is getting a very, very big stomach so I have to limit him when it comes these things. Granted scones shouldn't be too fattening.

By the way, remain safe Diane Lane. I saw on tele that that hurricane is the strongest ever.

Reaction score
Haha, just click where it says 'Cranberry Scones' in my original post, that's the link that will take you to the recipe on the Taste of Home website. I made another batch the other day, and had to add even more flour this time. I doubled the batch, and added about another cup of flour, and they came out really yummy. Remember to reserve just a bit of the eggs to use as an egg wash on top. I'm glad I have some of the large crystal sugar on hand, and I also have some in holiday colors, so will probably use that next time.

Reaction score
:) I was just about to say I can't find the recipe and then I got it. I just love scones. I am out of cranberries. I dropped the few I had left in something I baked some weeks back while I ate a few. I just love scones now. Not too much sugar and super easy to make. I love them.

Reaction score
:) I was just about to say I can't find the recipe and then I got it. I just love scones. I am out of cranberries. I dropped the few I had left in something I baked some weeks back while I ate a few. I just love scones now. Not too much sugar and super easy to make. I love them.

Yes, that's what I like about them. They're not as sweet as a lot of desserts, even with the caster sugar on top. I just had one for breakfast with some tea, and I'm afraid this recipe might become something I bake regularly. My hips sure don't need it, but they're so delicious I don't want to stop making/eating them!

Reaction score
Yes, that's what I like about them. They're not as sweet as a lot of desserts, even with the caster sugar on top. I just had one for breakfast with some tea, and I'm afraid this recipe might become something I bake regularly. My hips sure don't need it, but they're so delicious I don't want to stop making/eating them!
That's exactly how I felt when I first started baking them. I got hooked. I hope to make some this weekend. I am back in a baking slump of sorts.

Ask a Question