Cream cheese frosting

Reaction score
If I make a cake with cream cheese in the frosting, how long can it sit on the counter in a cake box? If I cannot leave it out, which I assume is better to preserve the fresh taste, should I then freeze it or refrigerate it? If I need to freeze or refrigerate, how should I do that? It will be a fully decorated cake so I didn’t want to put Saran Wrap or anything that would flatten my icing or decorations on the cake. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Bruno Albouze has a good cream cheese icing on his website and YouTube channel. It uses Italian meringue with butter and cream cheese. Italian meringue is stable.

How long did you have in mind?

Reaction score
I am frosting the cake on Thursday and the party is Sunday morning? If I shouldn’t leave it out can you tell me the best way to preserve its flavor until then? Thanks for the reply

Reaction score
It is, but I’m very worried something will go wrong and I won’t have time to mend it. It’s a full sheet cake with piping and decorations and I’m new to this. I would feel much better not taking that risk. So should I freeze it or refrigerate it and how should I cover it being fully decorated and all? Thanks so much for the help.

Reaction score
I can fit it if I have too. It seems like when I have frozen cakes in the past, they are quick to thaw and after they have thawed I don’t notice a difference in the taste from when it was fresh. When I have refrigerated cakes it seems like they lose that fluffy soft texture. It seems I’m in the minority on this though.

Reaction score
I do have a cake box just like this that I got from a friend who works in a bakery. Thanks for the opinions

Reaction score
If I make a cake with cream cheese in the frosting, how long can it sit on the counter in a cake box? If I cannot leave it out, which I assume is better to preserve the fresh taste, should I then freeze it or refrigerate it? If I need to freeze or refrigerate, how should I do that? It will be a fully decorated cake so I didn’t want to put Saran Wrap or anything that would flatten my icing or decorations on the cake. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Depending on the temperature of the room you should be able to safely leave the cake out up to six hours. Some people say eight hours but I think that’s pushing it. This is assumes your utensils and bowls were clean and free of contaminants, and you used proper food handling in repairing the cake.

The room should not be warmer than 75°F. Obviously if the room is excessively hot you can’t leave the cake out for more than a couple of hours

Ask a Question