Creating Light and Airy Cakes with Non-Wheat Flours

Reaction score
Many things are fairly easy to make by simply using rice flour and other flours in place of wheat. But what about cake? Cake has a very light texture. Is it possible to get such a texture using other grains?

Reaction score
I'm curious about this too - I've tried a couple of cakes that had almond flour in them and they just didn't turn out very good at all. If someone has any tips/advice I'd be happy to hear it!

Reaction score
One of my friends tried to use a substitute flour before and the cake turned out different. It was not bad, just different. I think you just have to get past the texture change if you want to enjoy cake, but not have exposure to wheat flour. I have had pastries and cakes made with gluten free flour and I really enjoyed them.

Reaction score
One of my friends tried to use a substitute flour before and the cake turned out different. It was not bad, just different. I think you just have to get past the texture change if you want to enjoy cake, but not have exposure to wheat flour. I have had pastries and cakes made with gluten free flour and I really enjoyed them.
I know the texture will be different. I am quite used to gluten free pumpkin bread and zucchini bread and I really like them, both taste and texture, but for cake I am concerned it won't hold together.

Reaction score
Perhaps there's something else you can add that would help hold the cake together, such as increasing the number of eggs used, or adding something like almond paste?

Reaction score
Perhaps there's something else you can add that would help hold the cake together, such as increasing the number of eggs used, or adding something like almond paste?
That sounds like a good idea. I consider eggs to be healthy as the protein will balance the carbs. Extra eggs might really help a lot.

Reaction score

I just started baking GF and the flour mixture I tried consisted of almond flour, golden flax meal and a little coconut flour with some baking soda. Then I just used a regular (non-GF) recipe, substituting my mixture for the flour it called for. It has a slightly different consistancy but it held together!

Ask a Question