Creme legere vs creme diplomat

Reaction score
Hi does anyone know what the differences are between the creme legere and diplomat?

I think they are similar with diplomat often having gelatine added.

Thanks

Reaction score
Crème legere is whipped cream mixed into pastry cream. It’s not used in professional applications because it is not stable. You won't find it in any baking textbooks or books by professional pastry chefs.

Diplomat crème is whipped cream whipped to soft peaks, then folded into pastry cream with bloomed gelatin sheets. This is the standard because it's stable. It's in every textbook.

Reaction score
Interesting thank you.

Would you say the ratio of whipped cream to pastry cream is larger for creme legere?

Reaction score
Interesting thank you.

Would you say the ratio of whipped cream to pastry cream is larger for creme legere?

No. I have four baking textbooks, plus books by Pierre Herme and a book with recipes from master pastry chefs from Europe. Even diplomat creme has various amounts of whipped cream to pastry cream.

The amount you add depends on how light you want the pastry cream. Just keep in mind the more you add, the more unstable it will become because of the water content. Make sure you don't over whip the creme.

That's why sheet gelatin is used in diplomat creme, to stabilize it. But sheet gelatin isn’t readily available to home bakers. So legere is a way to make a diplomat creme without sheet gelatin. Just use care in making it, and use it as soon as possible.

Reaction score
Keep in mind too Bruno is filming for home bakers. This demographics does not have the training or access to commercial ingredients available to professional bakers. You cannot walk into a grocery store and purchase sheet gelatin or 40% fat whipping cream. And those are two of the ingredients used in diplomat cream.

Bruno revises his recipes so ingredients equipment reflect what is available to home bakers. And just using a recipe in of itself is a home baker thing. Professional bakers use formulas (baker’s percentages), not recipes.
Recipes are nothing more than a list of pre-measured ingredients and mixing instructions. A formula is the specific percentages of ingredients.

A formula for pastry cream would be

Whole milk 100%
Sugar#1 5%
cornstarch7%
Sugar#2 20%
Egg yolks 20% butter12%

Total Bakers Percentages 164%

But if Bruno posted such a formula, his audience wouldn’t know what to do with it.

And if he used the term mechanic cream, they wouldn’t know what he was talking about.

So he has to revise everything for a homebaker‘s understanding and for the ingredients and equipment they have available to them.

But there is no culinary school that teaches diplomat cream in this manner. And you will not find any such recipe in any textbook used in culinary schools. And no commercial bakery produces diplomat cream in this manner because it is unstable.

People may use the terms interchangeably but that does not mean this is diplomat cream or vice versa.

Reaction score
@Norcalbaker59 Is Pastrylove a commercial baker? I didn’t see that in the original post.

Are you aware that sheet gelatin is available online? I have some in my pantry now.

I havent looked for 40% fat cream but I am confident it can be found.

Fully agree with formulae.

Reaction score
@Norcalbaker59 Is Pastrylove a commercial baker? I didn’t see that in the original post.

Are you aware that sheet gelatin is available online? I have some in my pantry now.

I havent looked for 40% fat cream but I am confident it can be found.

Fully agree with formulae.
@chassis I don’t know if they are a commercial bakery or not.

Yes I know sheet gelatin is available online. It’s only available in a few places. And it’s not sold in any stores.

You can buy 40% fat cream at some Costcos. The reason is a lot of small business restaurant owners shop at Costco; so in some Metropolitan areas they will stock commercial baking and cooking supplies. It’s also available at some specialty markets that cater to avid cooks. If you have a restaurant supply store near you, some of them are open to the public.

I took a cake class last month. It included different glazes, some required NH pectin and citric acid. home bakers bombarded the instructor with questions about whether citric acid was necessary; what was NH pectin; why couldn’t they just use regular pectin; they couldn’t buy this in the grocery store.

He told them they could order it online, yet they still wanted to substitute the ingredients or just omit it. He didn’t converted anything for the home bakers. He told them they would just have to experiment and see what happens.

There are some professional chefs who allow everyone to take classes, but don’t convert. Some of the pastry chefs at CIA won’t convert. They don’t even reduce the cake formula down from a production batch to a single cake. Like a home baker needs six 9” cakes! And one class there is about $250. So it’s a waste of money for the home baker who don’t understand baker’s percentages and ingredients.

Reaction score
Baking at a higher level of flavor and presentation requires effort, that's what I am getting from this discussion.

I agree with this. Speaking for myself I enjoy increasing my skills and take the time and effort to do this. I have the time and desire for this, which I realize not everyone has. It's not unusual that I spend portions of several days preparing one meal. It's not unusual that I spend an entire day preparing one meal. I enjoy it. For me it's relaxing.

I have family members who enjoy cooking and baking, but when I tell them it took a week of planning and a three day prep and build process for an item, they turn off. Many people come home at 5:30pm after work and want to have a Michelin level pastry for dessert that night, having done no prep or shopping until that point. Not possible.

Reaction score
@chassis ”Many people come home at 5:30pm after work and want to have a Michelin level pastry for dessert that night, having done no prep or shopping until that point.”

Americans in particular are a culture of absolute convenience. They love the idea of home bake, but loathe the actual work, the cost of quality ingredients. they demand shortcuts and then complain that it doesn’t taste like the desert from their favorite bakery.

I had a company approach me for a recipe. I refused even though I use their product all the time. They wanted to post the recipe on their website. I explained that I work in metric weight, so an accurate conversion is not possible. But beyond that, bakers home bakers will not follow instructions, Make whatever substitutions they want on the fly, then bitterly complain that the recipe doesn’t work. And I simply don’t want my work associated with their failures.

The average baker/cook isn’t like you--willing to put in the time and effort to learn and get it right. I have one sibling who wants to cut corners on everything baking. She’s an incredible fiber artist who spins wool into yarn. But baking isn’t her thing. Another sibling who is advancing so fast I think my SIL wishes he would stop baking so much. But he is also a coffee roaster, owns a coffee farm, and is planning a coffee shop. So I think the level of dedication also stems from individualgoals and interests.

BTW, The more you learn and the more experience you become your production time will drastically decrease. Mise en place evolves into a rote habit. You memorize techniques and mixing order for all the basic products, so you don't need to read drawn out recipe instructions.

Reaction score
No sheet gelatin no problem.
Bloom 2 oz gelatin granules with 2 oz cold water per gallon of milk for pastry cream, leave it to set in a small bowl.

Make the pastry cream , pull it off the stove and put the gelatin on top. The gelatin will melt from the heat in 2 minutes. Stir it in.

Pour custard onto sheetpan and chill, Whip cream and drop the custard into the cream. Restart the machine and whip everything together.

We did 5 gallon batch . it's a very simple fast method.

Anytime there's starch in the eggs there's no purpose to pouring the hot milk into the egg base. It cannot curdle due to the yolk being dispersed.

There's a lot of confusing the creme anglaise with pastry cream methods.

Ask a Question