Crisco pies crust

Reaction score
Hi Everyone I’m new here but wanted to share my trials and tribulations with crisco crust. First off I wanna say I kinda feel like I failed my mother she made the crisco crust ( the one on the back of the container) religiously as my grandmother made before her. After her passing it was my time to take over the family tradition. Try as I might I could never get it right and I did everything she never refrigerated anything she used ice cold water and room temp crisco and bam every time perfect. I tried that, I tried refrigerating the crisco, then refrigerating the dough once it was combined, and tried over flouring the the outside/ surface I was rolling out on and always got the same result the dough kept sticking!!!!! I tried over hydrating I tried under hydration and still it would stick or it would crack as soon as it was pulled off the surface. Finally I gave up and made a butter dough (a lot more forgiving I found) and continued making the pies of our family but I still see it in my father when I say how’s the pie and I can tell he knows it isn’t the same. Any help is welcome but unfortunately I think we are in a world without crisco crust now and it isn’t the same.

Reaction score
I make my pie crusts with part butter/part Crisco. Once the crust is made, it has to be refrigerated for several hours or overnight to hydrate the flour. Rolling: The trick is to roll the crust between sheets of plastic wrap. You will need to overlap 2 sheets on bottom and top. When you get your dough round rolled out, carefully peel off the top side of the plastic wrap. You can pick up the entire crust, still attached to the bottom crust, flip it over into your pie plate, press it into the pie plate, and then remove the plastic wrap. Works like a charm, uses no extra flour.

Reaction score
My wife has been using butter-flavored Crisco for her pie crusts for years, and I just started making pies recently with it. As long as I follow the instructions carefully, it comes out fine, but it takes practice to get the hydration right.

If the butter works for you, I would stick with that (the flavor will be better that with Crisco) or try a 50/50 mix of the two. The key for me is to keep the dough cold and not to overwork it with my warm hands.

Don't stress about it. Just tell your father you have a new way of doing it that you think tastes better.

Reaction score
Hi Everyone I’m new here but wanted to share my trials and tribulations with crisco crust. First off I wanna say I kinda feel like I failed my mother she made the crisco crust ( the one on the back of the container) religiously as my grandmother made before her. After her passing it was my time to take over the family tradition. Try as I might I could never get it right and I did everything she never refrigerated anything she used ice cold water and room temp crisco and bam every time perfect. I tried that, I tried refrigerating the crisco, then refrigerating the dough once it was combined, and tried over flouring the the outside/ surface I was rolling out on and always got the same result the dough kept sticking!!!!! I tried over hydrating I tried under hydration and still it would stick or it would crack as soon as it was pulled off the surface. Finally I gave up and made a butter dough (a lot more forgiving I found) and continued making the pies of our family but I still see it in my father when I say how’s the pie and I can tell he knows it isn’t the same. Any help is welcome but unfortunately I think we are in a world without crisco crust now and it isn’t the same.

Hello,

Don't feel like your letting your mom down, she'd be happy how hard you have tried. Believe me, nothing I make, and I am not bragging but pretty good cook, but nothing tastes as good as my mom and grams. Don't guilt yourself! Start a new tradition! I will share my no fail pie crust. I use half crisco, half salted butter. Yes salted, works great. I hope this helps. It makes two large pie crusts, and you can trim and make cinnamon pie scraps with it. My mom always did that. Here you go...

3 cups flour
3/4 cup crisco
3/4 cup very cold salted butter cut up in small squares
I do about 1/4 tsp kosher salt
3/4 cup ice cold water, more if needed.

You can mix the flour, crisco, butter and salt in a food processor, just pulse, then add water. It should form a big kind of ball. Then split in half, and make disc's. You can put in fridge for half hour or up to two days. Or freeze for a month. Or, if you do not have a food processor, then a pie crust tool works great, lastly a fork if you don't have the tool. Just cut into flour and butter/crisco until you see them turn into pea sized crumbs, then add water slowly until the dough comes together. Not to moist, it will turn out harder. When I bake with double crust, I always do an egg wash on top, or even milk sometimes. Comes out great. Blessings to you!

Ask a Question