Croissant dough

Reaction score
Hello,
If you are working with croissant dough and want a tighter crumb what would you do? Do you slightly underproof the dough?

Carl

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Yeh that would do it but would make it a bit chewy or heavy.
You can get a tight dough by not leaving it overnite to fully relax.
Complete the folding process and roll it out after 3 hours.

Reaction score
There’s really no way to get a great croissant without a sheeter

But if you’re going to make it at home, this is one of the best tutorials out there.

https://www.weekendbakery.com/posts/classic-french-croissant-recipe/

The video

https://www.weekendbakery.com/posts/video-making-baking-classic-french-croissants/

FAQ

https://www.weekendbakery.com/posts/facq-frequently-asked-croissant-questions/

They also have a One Day Version, but I would strongly recommend you do the traditional version first

Reaction score
There’s really no way to get a great croissant without a sheeter
What came first, the croissant or the sheeter?
Same with refrigeration, my boss worked at Poilane when they had no refrigerators, it can be done because thats the way it was done.
I used to make 1000 a day on weekends without a sheeter, it can't be done with the french rolling pin.
The sheeter made it fast and easier but not better.

Reaction score
What came first, the croissant or the sheeter?
Same with refrigeration, my boss worked at Poilane when they had no refrigerators, it can be done because thats the way it was done.
I used to make 1000 a day on weekends without a sheeter, it can't be done with the french rolling pin.
The sheeter made it fast and easier but not better.
Just because the dough was invented before sheeter does it mean the The handmade dough is superior. When you roll dough by hand you cannot apply exacting and uniform pressure. A machine can. Technology is in some cases far superior to what a human can do.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
I found no difference except time and ease.
Superior in efficiency yes definitely.

You'd be surprised what the human hand can do, lathe beds that rely on accuracy down to thousands of an inch are hand finished by hand lapping and scraping, this is after they are machined by the best CNC computer controlled horizontal mills.

Reaction score
I found no difference except time and ease.
Superior in efficiency yes definitely.

You'd be surprised what the human hand can do, lathe beds that rely on accuracy down to thousands of an inch are hand finished by hand lapping and scraping, this is after they are machined by the best CNC computer controlled horizontal mills.
well you know I’ve eaten a lot of really crappy croissants in my life, so I am very surprised at what the human hand can do and still ccroissant.

Even my own croissants are crap. There’s really no comparing a croissant made by a master baker using a sheeter and made by hand. I was just taking a lamination class. Try to laminate without any extra flour on the counter. Yeah the instructor wouldn’t even allow us to have a bowl of flour on the counter. He’s a master baker. He can laminate those with out any extra flour on the counter. i’ll go ahead and you try that

Reaction score
I owned a rondo 3 phase sheeter for 30 years, I know what it can do.
I bet the your sheeter dough is better than your hand dough. There is no way you can be exacting in pressure by hand as a machine. there is just no way. A human cannot roll with the same precision as a machine.

Ad

Advertisements

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question