Croissants deflating in the middle - need help!

Reaction score
Hi all!

I’ve been having an issue with my croissants recently, they have been deflating in the center mid-bake/post-bake.

Pictured here:
4BC6B610-BFC0-447F-98A3-51E97A193F27.jpeg

340064CF-9F8F-4A9E-82BA-AD7B31AFA94A.jpeg

84CDF31F-962E-4CB3-99ED-5C8656623AFD.jpeg

I’ve been using this recipe for years and it’s only started recently. I’ve gotten a new proofer and I think perhaps this is affecting it?

I currently proof my croissants for 3-4 hours at 85 degrees with a high humidity about 80%

I then bake them in a convection oven at 350F for about 25 - 30 minutes rotating every 8 minutes or so.

From what I’ve read already, I feel like the proofing time is far too long but they don’t get noticeably puffy until that time. I’ve tried shorter times (down to just 1.5 hours) and get similar results. Also, my oven temp seems too low but it’s convection so it browns them very fast.

Let me know your thoughts and suggestions?

Reaction score
theres something wrong with the dough, it looks rather course.
350 is fine with convection.

3-4 hours to proof tells me the dough is nearly dead.
Are you using fresh cake yeast, dry yeast is not as good.
Kickstart the proof in the oven on low fan at 110F for a couple of minutes, the tray should feel warm but not so warm you cannot touch it with your tongue.
then into the proofer, don't be afraid of heavy heavy steam.

With good fresh compressed yeast I get full proof in 45 minutes or less.
85 deg proof is too cool, the heat cannot penetrate the dough, you might as well just leave them on the table.
Try proofing at 100F.

Ask a Question