Crust and sugar/color

Reaction score
So sometimes if i bake my pie and ti sits or travels for several days 5-6 I develop some mold . But I am not sure if it happens on pies that the crust is a lttle lighter in color, not golden, so are those pies just not quite done enough?
Will sprinkling sugar on the crust seal the top and help prevent the mold?

Reaction score
So sometimes if i bake my pie and ti sits or travels for several days 5-6 I develop some mold . But I am not sure if it happens on pies that the crust is a lttle lighter in color, not golden, so are those pies just not quite done enough?
Will sprinkling sugar on the crust seal the top and help prevent the mold?

@Pretty Good Pie, hello and welcome to the forum. Pies should be eaten within 2-3 days after baking. Keeping your pies beyond four days it’s not advisable from both food safety and quality of product perspectives. if you are going to keep your pies more than three days you should freeze them.

Mold development is a common problem with baked goods. Commercially produced baked goods are mixed with preservatives that have mold inhibitors.

Mold spores are in the air. You need to store your pies in proper pie storage containers. If you live in a humid area it’s advisable to store your pies in the refrigerator.

The following ingredients contain acids that act as natural mold inhibitors. If you can find a way to work these ingredients into your recipes they will act as natural preservatives.

vinegar: acetic acid

prune juice concentrates: malic, benzoic and salicylic acid

Raisin juice concentrates: tartaric and propionic acids

Fermented/cultured whey flour: acetic, propionic, and lactic acids

Reaction score
Thanks for the response! ,So our pies are wrapped that should help, we cool to room temp before wrapping, We do have some request to ship the pies, we froze ans shipped in a Styrofoam container once and it went fairly well, but 1 of those pies might of had a spot of mold on arrival, the other showed mold in 3 or so days. We shipped others without freezing and one of them had significant mold after 4 or 5 days even after being refrigerated. Any shipping suggestions Frozen or Fresh we did not go for express shipping and maybe that's the key?

Reaction score
Thanks for the response! ,So our pies are wrapped that should help, we cool to room temp before wrapping, We do have some request to ship the pies, we froze ans shipped in a Styrofoam container once and it went fairly well, but 1 of those pies might of had a spot of mold on arrival, the other showed mold in 3 or so days. We shipped others without freezing and one of them had significant mold after 4 or 5 days even after being refrigerated. Any shipping suggestions Frozen or Fresh we did not go for express shipping and maybe that's the key?

you’re in commercial production. To be frank, you shouldn’t even be selling your product online if you can’t safely preserve and ship your pies. Food mold can cause serious illness or even death because mold can cause anaphylactic shock. You have a serious product liability problem.

sorry, but I am not going to get involved in this for the obvious reasons.

Reaction score

stick with local pie sales, you're playing with fire.

Ask a Question