Naming Luxury Cupcakes After Fashion Brands - Copyright Issues?

Reaction score
Hey guys! so I've finally started getting a bit popular and am now having a bake sale in about a month, I want to keep my brand a bit luxurious and more expensive if you know what I mean ;) . I really want to name my cupcakes after fashion designer brands as my sister is obsessed with them and it kind of fits in with the luxury theme. For example I want to name my chocolate cupcake the Louis Vuitton and my red velvet cupcake the Christian Louboutin. I just wanted to know if this will be a trademark/ copyright issue and if it will be okay for me to use their names ?

Reaction score
Well, I guess the answer would be yes. Whether those companies will track you down and issue a cease and desist, I don't know. If it were me I'd play it safe, but then I'm a total rule follower!

I think it would also be worth bearing in mind that whilst you may be familiar with those names, not everyone will be ;)

If you want names that come across as luxurious, how about using French names? For example, you could call the chocolate one 'Chocolat Luxe' and the red velvet one 'Velours Rouge'.

Reaction score
Well, I guess the answer would be yes. Whether those companies will track you down and issue a cease and desist, I don't know. If it were me I'd play it safe, but then I'm a total rule follower!

I think it would also be worth bearing in mind that whilst you may be familiar with those names, not everyone will be ;)

If you want names that come across as luxurious, how about using French names? For example, you could call the chocolate one 'Chocolat Luxe' and the red velvet one 'Velours Rouge'.

Well name them what you want as it's doubtful they would go after you like Apple and Disney would. I also believe it they found out they should feel very flattered at least as long as your cupcakes are "Top-Shelf". Personally I would seek out my own cool names, but I like advertising although not my profession.

Reaction score
Hey guys! so I've finally started getting a bit popular and am now having a bake sale in about a month, I want to keep my brand a bit luxurious and more expensive if you know what I mean ;) . I really want to name my cupcakes after fashion designer brands as my sister is obsessed with them and it kind of fits in with the luxury theme. For example I want to name my chocolate cupcake the Louis Vuitton and my red velvet cupcake the Christian Louboutin. I just wanted to know if this will be a trademark/ copyright issue and if it will be okay for me to use their names ?

Sorry, but no you cannot use their business names. I used to work for a law firm in Washington DC as a legal secretary in the patent and trademark division. I processed the paperwork for patents, trademarks, and copyrights for major corporations. You can’t use a company’s business name without a license or explicit approval. Not only are these business names protected, but their logos are as well. The courts and companies take trademark violations very seriously.

Disney and Sanrio, two mega billion dollar corporations, teamed up to sue a guy who made sugar icing sheets with Hello Kitty and Disney characters. He was just a lone guy working from home and selling on eBay. The sugar icing sheets were used to decorate cakes. He probably spent more in legal fees than he ever earned in sugar icing sheet sales.

Reaction score
Thank you so much you guys!! I've decided to make my own names and keep them simple so people without too much knowledge in the fashion world can get it ;) but yeah I completely agree if I was a super famous company I would be upset too! :p

Ask a Question