cupcake recipe gone wrong

Reaction score
HI all!!

so I wanted to try this recipe but made a few adjustments and although the cupcakes taste good, the consistency and texture turned out all wrong. They are chewy not like cake and a little hard and also I lost half the cupcake on the paper cups they were backed on. I usually line the cups with oil but I forgot this time :( here is the recipe if you have any thoughts let me know

1 ½ cups (150g) gluten free flour
¼ cup (21 g) unsweetened good quality cocoa powder
1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
2 free range/ organic eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup cold pressed coconut oil
* ¼ cup your choice of dairy, almond or soy * I used 1 cup of kefir instead
2 tablespoons maple syrup

**also added coconut flakes and chia seeds

Preheat oven to 160 C – fan forced. 180 C no fan.

Combine flour, cocoa powder and baking powder.
Add the eggs, oil, milk and syrup then mix well to form a smooth batter.
Spoon into 12 small individual cupcake tins.
Bake for 25 minutes until puffed and cooked through.

so....aside from using kefir I followed the recipe to the t! Im not sure if they needed more oil since they really stuck to the paper and I have used yogurt instead of milk before but never kefir. I did have to add more because the mix was quite thick.

please help!!

johana

Reaction score
Hmm....did you use a pre-made gluten-free flour blend?
Also, did you read any reviews of the original recipe? Maybe they were weirdly-textured, too.
The kefir substitution is not at all likely to be the culprit, so you're off the hook there!

Reaction score
yes it was a premade mix.....but i used it on carrot cupcakes and it was fine :(
and the recipe had good reviews

Reaction score
Over mixing can usually be to blame for chewy/rubbery baked goods, but it's pretty much impossible to over mix gluten-free flours (since there is no gluten to over develop). I'm stumped. Try again?

Ask a Question