Substituting Rice Flour for Gluten Free Flour in Cupcakes

Reaction score
Can I substitute rice flour for all purpose gluten free flour?

Rice flour is extremely gritty. The cupcake will feel like chewing on sand.
Rice flour has no elasticity. The cupcake will crumble even if you use a binder.
Rice flour alone just tastes like crap.

When baking gf cupcakes, cakes, sugar cookies a minimum of 60% grain to 40% starch blend works best. I prefer to blend,white rice flour, brown rice flour, sorghum, tapioca starch and potato starch for most cakes.

Alternatively, you can use just almond flour as almond flour does not require a binder beyond eggs. French orange almond yogurt cake makes a frequent appearance in my house.

You can also use a combination of almond flour and a small percentage of rice flour for cupcake and cake batters.

And almond flour and finely ground corn flour (not cornmeal or corn starch) makes a nice cake batter too. Think of it as a marriage between French almond cake and Italian polenta cake without the grittiness of polenta.

Reaction score
I used whole unprocessed wheat flour once, because Im not supposed to eat white processed flour anymore.

Not what I call a good cupcake. It was edible, but it was also something you might expect from "Ellie Mae Clampett"!!! LOL

I've found a "slight trick" to making cupcakes from other flour sources.............

Don't make cupcakes, make muffins. For some reason a muffin mixture turns out a whole lot better than the standard cupcake mixture. And if you want frosting on it, just slap some on.

I mean, even if you use whole bran flour to make muffins, they will be light and fluffy. But if you use the same whole bran flour to make cupcakes, they turn out like bricks. So, anytime I would use a different kind of flour for making cupcakes, I would make muffins instead and just put frosting on them.

Same way with cookies. If you use a higher grain/unprocessed flour for cookies, they turn out harder and sometimes inedible. But if you make a cake batter from it, and then make cookies from that, they turn out just right.

The one thing about baking is there is LOTS and LOTS of trial and error processes to go through until you find one that works!!!

Ask a Question