cupcakes and the law

Reaction score
I recently read that one state has passed a special law making it easier for children to make and sell cupcakes. I decided to try and find the details to post here, and found that several states have tried to make it illegal for children or their parents to send cupcakes to school. One of those states loves for people to tote guns. It is good to worry about too much sugar, but an occasional party is different. Should children be able to bake and sell cupcakes?

Reaction score
This is just silly children have been having bake sales as long as they have been going to school. Allowing a child to buy a cupcake in school is harmless. Our schools have all sorts of issuse and this is the one we choose to focus on , no wonder our children are failing.

Reaction score
I guess because of all the school shootings, the authorities are worried that the kids will lace the cupcakes with poison. It's sad that no one trusts anyone anymore. When I was a kid, my school had bake sales all the time.

Reaction score
My kids schools have banned them from bringing any baked goods to school and I think it is stupid. They are also not allowed to have holiday parties! They have parties now called "fall harvest" and "winter party" as opposed to Halloween and Christmas, since some immigrant families get offended. I am all for diversity...but this is America.

Reaction score
I'd imagine it'd be more to do with any potential allergy issues rather than poisoned cupcakes ACSAPA.

Which is still kind of silly. Unless your child is experiencing an allergic reaction for the first time in their life, then they know what's happening, and to ask, "Oh is there any peanuts in this?"

Reaction score
When I was young we always had cupcake/cookie sales at school to raise money for special class projects. We always looked forward to them and the parents were asked to make sure no peanuts were used or peanut oil since that was the most common food allergy along with chocolat, but it is evident when chocolate is in a recipe. It was always such fun to make our own money for these special projects and I will always remember one bake sale where we decided to donate the proceeds to a classmate who had lost his Dad in an accident.

Reaction score
Cupcakes are banned from many schools because of the sugar content. The cupcake law I was referring to has to do with children selling cupcakes and Lemonade. It is a matter of business licenses, rather than the sugar content, as in the school rules I mentioned. Allowing children to set up small businesses is a good idea. Banning cupcakes at school is questionable, since many of the same same schools sell candy. One of the states with the rule, Texas, is notoriously right-wing and yet they legislate against children bringing cupcakes to school for parties. And they argue that proof of innocence is not grounds for appeal in death penalty cases. Hang 'em high.

Reaction score
Gosh, only in the US... in my mother country there would be no problem if the kids brought cupcakes or even homemade chocolate made by their moms, as long as the principal was informed first, of course. Why do they have to make everything so complicated in the US??? I recently read about a dad being in legal troubles because he built a fort with his children... he made it with cardboard boxes and now he has legal issues... just wow.

Ask a Question