Cupcakes in a cup!

Reaction score
So you've probably seen various recipes for this going around, but I thought I might ask, does anyone have any great and simple recipes for cupcakes or brownies that you make in a cup using only a microwave? I've tested one or two but they never come out quite as nice as I want, so I thought maybe you guys might share your knowledge?

Reaction score
My roommate makes these. They are moist and delicious. I haven't tried to make them since I have sworn off microwaves. But my friends cupcakes in a cup make me want to change my mind.

Reaction score
I found this great website that tells you how to bake a mini cake in a microwave. It's basically a cake in a mug. I personally think it'll be a cute dessert to cap up your dinner night! You could even put ice cream on top!

https://www.duncanhines.com/recipes/cakes/patti40/3-2-1-microwave-cake/
I keep meaning to sign up for Pinterest, but I'm afraid I'll just spend all my time on it!
My roommate makes these. They are moist and delicious. I haven't tried to make them since I have sworn off microwaves. But my friends cupcakes in a cup make me want to change my mind.
How come you've sworn off the microwave Tara?

Reaction score
I keep meaning to sign up for Pinterest, but I'm afraid I'll just spend all my time on it!

How come you've sworn off the microwave Tara?

I used to be a big user of microwaves ovens. But then my broke down and I couldn't afford to replace it right away. I started back cooking on the stove more and I just like the way my food tastes. I also like the aroma of food cooking.

So I never did replace it. I haven't used one in years. My new roommate bought one. I'm not even tempted to use it. I didn't even know that a microwave could be used for baking until my roommate made those cupcakes.

Reaction score
I used to be a big user of microwaves ovens. But then my broke down and I couldn't afford to replace it right away. I started back cooking on the stove more and I just like the way my food tastes. I also like the aroma of food cooking.

So I never did replace it. I haven't used one in years. My new roommate bought one. I'm not even tempted to use it. I didn't even know that a microwave could be used for baking until my roommate made those cupcakes.
Ahh I understand then. I'd say try the microwave out, even if it's just to try these nice cupcakes out. If you don't like it, you can obviously go back to just stove cooking!

Reaction score
The ones you make in the microwave are not going to taste as good as the real thing. Their main benefit is that they're quick. You can have a single serving of a brownie or cake-like substance in 2 minutes tops instead of 45 minutes. The texture is going to be a little 'off', though. I recommend adding mix-ins and toppings to get better flavor, like adding peanut butter, M&Ms, chocolate chips, caramel, etc.

Reaction score
I like the idea of making these single serve desserts rather than pan fulls. I won't be tempted to eat more than one as there won't be more to eat.

I do have to say the microwave cakes are delicious!

Reaction score
The ones you make in the microwave are not going to taste as good as the real thing. Their main benefit is that they're quick. You can have a single serving of a brownie or cake-like substance in 2 minutes tops instead of 45 minutes. The texture is going to be a little 'off', though. I recommend adding mix-ins and toppings to get better flavor, like adding peanut butter, M&Ms, chocolate chips, caramel, etc.

Thanks for the tip! I noticed the same thing too. It's sometimes too chewy or uncooked to my liking.

Reaction score
Yeah, I know they won't be quite as nice as the real thing, it's mostly just to have a quick little thing that I can mix up in a pinch if someone needs a bit of cheering up or calming down. But the idea of toppings and mix-ins for a better flavour is great! Thanks a lot for that :)

Reaction score
Try the following recipe for cupcakes.

Ingredients

• 125g butter, softened

• 125g caster sugar

• 2 medium eggs

• 125g self-raising flour

• 2 tbsp milk
Method

1. Preheat the oven to 190RC/gas mark 5. Beat together the butter and sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, flour and milk to the bowl and beat until the mixture is smooth.

2. Divide the mixture between the paper cases and bake in the centre of the oven until the cakes have risen and are just firm to the touch in the centre. The standard-size cakes will take about 12 to 15 minutes and the mini cakes will take 10 to 12 minutes.

3. Remove the cakes from the oven and transfer them to a wire rack to cool.

For cookies you can go for the below mentioned recipe. It is simple to make and yummy to eat.

• 2 cups white sugar

• 1 cup butter

• 1/2 cup cocoa powder

• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

• 4 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

• 1/2 teaspoon salt

• 1/2 cup walnut halves
Directions

1. Melt the butter or margarine and mix all ingredients in the order given.

2. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 30 minutes in a 9 x 13 inch greased pan.

Ask a Question