Dairy-free rhubarb crumble muffins

Reaction score
I finally got round to making these yummy muffins yesterday. Rhubarb is now in season so it would be rude not to... ;)

This is the recipe I based mine off:
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1263686/rhubarb-crumble-muffins

Dairy-free version (my changes are in bold):

For the muffin mix:
175g caster sugar
200g rhubarb, halved lengthways then diced
2 tbsp sunflower oil
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
125g coconut yoghurt

200g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda

For the crumble topping:
50g dark brown soft sugar
50g plain flour
25g porridge oats
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
50g dairy-free spread

I followed the recipe instructions and baked mine for 18 minutes at 200 deg C (fan oven), and when I took them out the internal temperature read 99.1 deg C.

I'm so pleased with them! The topping gives a lovely bit of crunch, and the cake underneath is really soft and moist. The rhubarb pieces didn't sink to the bottom, so it's definitely worthwhile chopping them fairly small.

dairy free rhubarb crumble muffins 1.jpg

dairy free rhubarb crumble muffins 2.jpg

Reaction score
Those really look yummy! How did you keep the rhubarb from sinking to the bottom? It’s always hit or miss with with fruit. Sometimes it sinks, sometimes it doesn’t. It really irritates me when the fruit all sinks to the bottom. Whether it’s cake or muffins.

Reaction score
How did you keep the rhubarb from sinking to the bottom? It’s always hit or miss with with fruit. Sometimes it sinks, sometimes it doesn’t. It really irritates me when the fruit all sinks to the bottom. Whether it’s cake or muffins.

I think it's because I cut them up quite small. I know what you mean though, I've had other recipes where I've had to try all sorts of tricks to stop the fruit sinking! But with this one I just cut them small and they stayed put - thankfully!

My father in law is growing rhubarb in his garden so it'll be nice if I get to make these again with his home-grown rhubarb :)

Ask a Question