Danish Apple Cake

Reaction score
Hi all, since I'm new here I thought I would contribute with one of my favorite recipes of all time. I grew up in Denmark and this is the apple cake my grandma used to bake for me all the time! It is very easy, light and goes great with creme fraiche!

What you need:

4 large, tart apples

2 eggs

150 grams sugar (2/3 cup)

150 grams flour (2/3 cup) (I sometimes substitute whole grain)

50 grams melted butter (1/3 cup)

1/3 cup of milk

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I also like to either add nutmeg or substitute all spice)

Preheat oven to 380F. Whisk sugar and eggs until fluffy. Add flower, milk and baking powder whisk until smooth and pour the dough into a greased baking pan. Sprinkle with half of the cinnamon.
Wash and cut the apples into very thin slices (you can peel them if you want but I like to keep it on), cutting out the core. Place on top of the dough and drizzle with melted butter and the rest of the cinnamon. Bake for 30-35 minutes, let rest for 10 minutes and enjoy with ice cream or creme fraiche :).

Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for posting your grandma's recipe. I want to make this tonight!
Is it always made with apples? Do you think I could make a fresh cherry or blueberry version? I have lots of those and zero apples.
Thanks!

Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for posting your grandma's recipe. I want to make this tonight!
Is it always made with apples? Do you think I could make a fresh cherry or blueberry version? I have lots of those and zero apples.
Thanks!

Yes I absolutely think so! I would maybe add a little confectioners sugar after baking to make sure the berries aren't to tart. Let me know how it comes out! I love this recipe because I almost always have all the necessary ingredients at hand and it is a breeze to make!

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the site. Thanks for posting this recipe as it sounds good. I personally don't like apple pies but can tolerate one when hot and have vanilla bean ice cream.

Reaction score
Thank you for your welcome! I think people either love or hate apple dishes. I love anything with baked apples and often bring apple pies to family gatherings and parties. Last time I completely forgot that the host hates apples though :( Just like the time last Christmas when I made my husband homemade caramels and forgot that he HATES caramels...:oops:

Ask a Question