Danish proving

Reaction score
Is it normal for danishes to take longer to prove than croissants. My danish pastry is very slow to rise compared to croissants and still doesnt seem fully risen with the more time I give it.

Thanks everyone

Reaction score
Is it normal for danishes to take longer to prove than croissants. My danish pastry is very slow to rise compared to croissants and still doesnt seem fully risen with the more time I give it.

Thanks everyone
no thats not typical, danish is a softer dough and usually rises very easily.

Reaction score

Thanks everyone

Danish and croissant are exactly the same dough insofar as far to flour butter. A croissant dough contains yeast to make it rise.

So when you have yeast in one dough, and the absence of yeast in another, then yes you’re going to have differences in fermentation (proofing) time.

“soft” dough is not even a baking term. So it cannot be a cause of any thing.

Reaction score
no I don't think so, lamination won't stop yeast.
Too much cinnamon will kill it, I don't add cinn to the dough until final roll out.

There is NO YEAST in danish dough!!

Yeast is in croissant dough. The yeast in croissant dough makes it ferment faster.

Geez, go take some basic 101 baking classes!!!!!

Reaction score
It’s clear you don’t understand the fundamentals of baking. Yeast is a single cell organism.

Yeast metabolism is dependent on osmotic pressure. Osmotic pressure is the pressure that has to be applied for a something to pass through a semipermeable membrane. In the case of yeast, it would be nutrients passing through the cell wall.

There has to be specific and constant osmotic pressure on the cell wall. If there is little pressure, the nutrients will not pass through the cell wall. Too much pressure will force the cell membrane out of the cell wall, killing the yeast.

Too many molecules surrounding the cells can increase that pressure. Salt and sugar are two such molecules. Sugar at 10% begins to inhibit the development of yeast. Sugar at 12% or higher will kill yeast.

Danish has a high sugar content. This is why yeast is useless in danish dough when it is made at home. 10% sugar is the kiss of death. By the time it is around 12% sugar, why would any baker even waste the time to even weigh out the yeast—the yeast is DOA!

Bakeries use a specialized osmotolerant yeast that is resistant to the the osmotic pressure that can handle up to 30% sugar. But you cannot drive down to the Piggly Wiggly to buy it. In fact, I rarely see it at the restaurant supply store.

Bakeries are not in business to waste money and time. That is why they study the chemistry and biology of baking. When yeast is used in a professional danish dough application, it is a very specific strain of yeast is used to ensure it is not killed by the sugar.

You really need to take some basic baking classes.

Reaction score
My recipe does use yeast but i'm still practicing them and they are turning out better and proving well.

I was taught the main difference between croissant and danish was danish pastry containing eggs.
Thanks for all the input:)

Reaction score
My recipe does use yeast but i'm still practicing them and they are turning out better and proving well.

I was taught the main difference between croissant and danish was danish pastry containing eggs.
Thanks for all the input:)
if you keep it simple you find it is simple.

Reaction score
Danish and croissant are exactly the same dough insofar as far to flour butter. A croissant dough contains yeast to make it rise.

So when you have yeast in one dough, and the absence of yeast in another, then yes you’re going to have differences in fermentation (proofing) time.

“soft” dough is not even a baking term. So it cannot be a cause of any thing.
Don’t be a bitch

Ask a Question