Tips for Fluffy Skinny Dark Chocolate Muffins

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

First of all happy holidays to all!

This is my first post. I'm a novice cook for whom cooking is a hobby and a pleasure.

I need some help with a muffin recipe of mine. I'm quite strict on fat and sugar so its more a skinny recipe. But the thing is, i still cannot get that fluffy muffin texture you get when you purchase a muffin from a supermarket.

Can anyone help tell me where i'm going wrong with the recipe - such as the ratio of wet to dry ingredients, quantities of sugar, butter etc. I've tried switching from milk to buttermilk and from white to brown sugar to make the muffins moist but still they come our dry/hard the following day. Thanks for your advice!

My recipe
1. 150g self-raising flour
2. 30g cocoa powder
3. 30g brown sugar
4. 1 TSP baking powder
5. 2 large eggs
6. 120ml buttermilk
7. 75g soft butter
8. 100g dark chocolate
9. 1 tsp Vanilla extract

method
1. sift flour, baking powder, cocoa into bowl and add sugar
2. whisk eggs, butter, VE, and then gradually add buttermilk and whisk.
3. gently fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients
4. add dark chocolate chips
5. spoon mixture into paper cupcake holders in a baking tray
6. cook for 200C for 20miins

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

First of all happy holidays to all!

This is my first post. I'm a novice cook for whom cooking is a hobby and a pleasure.

I need some help with a muffin recipe of mine. I'm quite strict on fat and sugar so its more a skinny recipe. But the thing is, i still cannot get that fluffy muffin texture you get when you purchase a muffin from a supermarket.

Can anyone help tell me where i'm going wrong with the recipe - such as the ratio of wet to dry ingredients, quantities of sugar, butter etc. I've tried switching from milk to buttermilk and from white to brown sugar to make the muffins moist but still they come our dry/hard the following day. Thanks for your advice!

My recipe
1. 150g self-raising flour
2. 30g cocoa powder
3. 30g brown sugar
4. 1 TSP baking powder
5. 2 large eggs
6. 120ml buttermilk
7. 75g soft butter
8. 100g dark chocolate
9. 1 tsp Vanilla extract

method
1. sift flour, baking powder, cocoa into bowl and add sugar
2. whisk eggs, butter, VE, and then gradually add buttermilk and whisk.
3. gently fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients
4. add dark chocolate chips
5. spoon mixture into paper cupcake holders in a baking tray
6. cook for 200C for 20miins

you’re not going to get a light fluffy muffin. It’s simply not possible with this recipe. Sugar is a tenderizer. there’s only 30 g of sugar in this recipe, Which comes out to about 20% sugar to flour. In a normal muffin recipe the ratio is at least 50% sugar to flour.

And even if you used a regular muffin recipe you would still not create a supermarket/bakery muffin. Commercial bakeries use ingredients that are not available to home bakers, mainly commercial emulsifiers.

Reaction score
thanks for the reply. I did guess the sugar could be the reason. I'm reluctant to eat a lot of sugar so will probably not go ahead making muffins or cakes.

Ask a Question