Date sugar

Reaction score
Date sugar is supposed to be a 1:1 swap with real sugar, but it never works when I use it. Because it doesn't cream well with butter, the better always comes out dry and crumbly. Has anyone successfully used date sugar as a substitute?

Reaction score
Date sugar is supposed to be a 1:1 swap with real sugar, but it never works when I use it. Because it doesn't cream well with butter, the better always comes out dry and crumbly. Has anyone successfully used date sugar as a substitute?

Date sugar is not sugar. It’s just pulverized dehydrated dates.

Date sugar will never work like cane or sugar beet sugars because these are made by crystallizing the juice from these plants. The crystals dissolve when they come in contact with water.

Since date sugar never started as juice, it will not dissolve into a liquid. As ground up fruit, the fiber will remain in whatever it’s mixed in. So it will never preform like real sugar.

Reaction score
Date sugar is not sugar. It’s just pulverized dehydrated dates.

Date sugar will never work like cane or sugar beet sugars because these are made by crystallizing the juice from these plants. The crystals dissolve when they come in contact with water.

Since date sugar never started as juice, it will not dissolve into a liquid. As ground up fruit, the fiber will remain in whatever it’s mixed in. So it will never preform like real sugar.
Thanks! Can you suggest any healthier sugar substitutes?

Reaction score
Thanks! Can you suggest any healthier sugar substitutes?

There’s no such thing as a healthier sugar. They’re all the same molecules of monosaccharides and disaccharides. Fructose is fructose, glucose is glucose.

The human body metabolizes fructose molecules from agave exactly as it does from cane sugar or high fructose corn syrup. Likewise for a glucose molecule.

It’s nothing but deceptive marketing that one sugar is “healthier“.

I’ve taken a lot of human science classes; diabetes also runs in my family. If there is a medical reason like diabetes to restrict sugar, then certainly avoid it. But sugar is sugar, the body will metabolize them all the same.

Fructose is absorbed into the bloodstream from the intestine. But it can also be processed through the liver and converted to glucose. Any excess fructose can also be stored as fat. Deceptive marketers try to say agave sugar is healthy because it doesn’t raise your blood sugar like glucose. But that is the case of all fructose and glucose. And they failed to tell you that access fructose gets stored as fat.

Glucose go directly into the bloodstream; glucose is used as energy by the body. That’s why we often refer to sugar as a sugar rush. It’s the glucose at work.

Sucrose has to be broken down by the body before The fructose and glucose is used.

Reaction score
Wow, thank you! That is a lot of information. Diabetes runs in my family so I'm trying to eliminate sugar but I love baking.

I have two diabetic brothers. My maternal grandfather died from complications of diabetes. my grandfather was Japanese born and lived his entire life in Japan. The Japanese eat very little sugar. And when I bake I bake with less sugar than the average westerner simply because my palate isn’t accustom to the sweetness. It’s not so much added such that causes diabetes. Japanese eat significantly less sugar than westerners. So it’s not added sugar per se. Rather, the consumption of sugary foods that lead to weight gain. Then weight gain leading to diabetes.

Then once you have diabetes you have to severely restrict sugar intake. and it’s not just direct added table sugar, but it’s carbohydrates.

Ask a Question