Dead for 32,000 Years, an Arctic Plant Is Revived

Reaction score
21plant_cnd-popup.jpg

Isn't this amazing? They managed to grow this beautiful plant from seed, a seed that according to the scientists has been dead for 32,000 years! This beautiful artic flower has come back from the dead, laid hidden in a squirrel burrow frozen all this time, until those russian scientists found it: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/21/s...ic-flower-that-died-32000-years-ago.html?_r=0

Reaction score
It probably makes me sound like a giant geek, but science is amazing isn't it?? I mean to think that something had been dead for that length of time and they've managed to bring it back to life is just brilliant and astounding all at once.

Such a lovely and delicate looking plant too.

Reaction score
That is lively. I don't agree with their dating methods, but it is amazing that a seed can still sprout after it has been buried for much longer than the expected time. Most seeds would not sprout after 2-4 years. Perhaps being frozen kept it from spoiling.

Reaction score
I don't agree with their definition of dead either. Dormant, frozen maybe, dead no.
Also I am wondering if there is an updated version of the article which is over 3 years old now? It may clarify some of the figures.

Reaction score
Even if the times are wrong and the article isn't truthful entirely, it's nice to see an emphasis on restoring old plants. Just like our new photos of Saturn's Moon Dione, we can see old heritage and where we came from if we only look hard enough. Science is indeed amazing.

And what is that quote I'm looking for? Ahh yes... Arthur C. Clarke:

1. "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Ask a Question