Bargain Hunting for Baking Enthusiasts

Reaction score
I don't know how many of you are familiar with FatWallet, but it's a site that pulls together deals on various websites and stores, and posts about them so shoppers can save money. I've been following them for years, but had never really thought of searching to see how many deals they had on baking related items until now.

Here's what they currently have: https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/search/results.php?query=baking&type=forums I follow them on Twitter, and that's how I have found some really great prices on things I've purchased. By the way, Target is having a deal (you can find it by following the link and searching on Target) on Lodge cast iron 12" pan, in case anyone wants or needs one. I know a lot of people seem to prefer making cornbread in cast iron pans, so that caught my eye.

Reaction score
Or you could just call me!!!!!!
:D:p;):D

Target is always great. They have "hidden" clearance racks all over the store in almost every section.
Most of the time the "end caps" on the inside isles are where they put the clearance items. "End caps" are those shelves on the ends of the rows. The clearance shelves are usually the ones facing the back wall. Everytime I go to Target, I check ALL of the clearance racks before I buy anything else.
I got a year supply of canned soup one year at 25 cents per can!!!!! I ALWAYS get a stockpile of pumpkin flavored coffees, teas, candies, cereals and such after Thanksgiving for SUPER cheap.

I used to use Shopzilla, until I discovered how to search for the deals I'm looking for online.

The better deals are usually found in the stores on the clearance racks. The best time to shop clearance racks are on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Macys had a clearance sale on pots and pans one year, and I got a 3-pack of frying pans for only $15.00!!!!

A lot of places that have good clearance sales will also let you use generic store coupons, any "extra off" you might have by having a store card of some kind, and even just asking for a better deal. Sometimes cashiers are allowed to give an extra discount (usually only 5%) if you ask nicely.
Someone told me about that little "store secret" one time. I was checking out and just happened to remember that little tidbit someone told me, so I just happened to ask the cashier "I don't suppose there are any extra store discounts on this"? She said "Sure, you get an extra 5% for asking".
5% isn't much, but it's better than nothing!!

i-am-not-a-shopaholic-i-am-helping-the-economy-6.png

When you need something specific......it's good to go directly to someone who is obsessed with it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Always keep this in the back of your mind when shopping for any kind of kitchen appliances, dishes, china, pots and pans, or bakeware.........

1. If you know what brand and style you want, get on the manufacturers website to see if they have any coupons, deals, or specials listed.

2. If the manufacturers website doesn't have anything, CALL their customer help line. Tell them you are interested in *so and so* pot, pan, or whatever and you want to know if they have any coupons or specials on that. Sometimes you DO have to ask!

3. Search online for specials, deals, clearance items, and sales with the specific product you have in mind. If you have a product or style code, use that in your search too!

4. If you know where you are going to buy your products, talk to the store manager and ask them if they are having any "in store" specials. Just like asking for an extra discount at the register, sometimes stores will allow their managers to have their own specials. But usually this is ONLY if the customer asks about it.

5. If there are no coupons, deals, specials, or discounts available of any kind, ask the manufacturer and the store manager if what you are interested in will be going on sale any time soon. Some companies don't tell their stores what is on sale until the day before the sale.......so you never know. You can always see if they have a callback list.......give your name and number and product you want to the manager or the customer service agent and they will (hopefully) give you a call back when it does go on sale, or the company has allowed the manager to have a managers discount.

6. Clearance centers. Not thrift stores, but clearance centers. Some large stores and companies have their own clearance centers, where old stock, returned merchandise, and display merchandise is sent to sell at a discount. For example: Nordstroms "Rack Room" or Neiman Marcuses "Last Call", even Sears has their own private clearance centers.

7. Look in the for sale sections in the newspapers and online in your local classifieds. Someone might have gotten what you are looking for as a gift, and doesn't like it.

8. Thrift shops. Sometimes people donate brand new, or slightly used items to thrift shops.

9. Place a "want ad" in your local classifieds.

10. Check Amazon, Ebay, and other online discounters and bidding sites.

11. Consignment stores. Usually these are known as "knick knack" or "Antique" stores.

FYI - I've received up to 75% off of retail on some expensive items because I had a manufacturers coupon, a store discount, and an extra savings discount for the company that owns the store. If you know how to shop, you will rarely pay retail again for anything.

If all else fails, you can write Santa Claus!!!!!
:p

Last edited:
Reaction score
W
Always keep this in the back of your mind when shopping for any kind of kitchen appliances, dishes, china, pots and pans, or bakeware.........

1. If you know what brand and style you want, get on the manufacturers website to see if they have any coupons, deals, or specials listed.

2. If the manufacturers website doesn't have anything, CALL their customer help line. Tell them you are interested in *so and so* pot, pan, or whatever and you want to know if they have any coupons or specials on that. Sometimes you DO have to ask!

3. Search online for specials, deals, clearance items, and sales with the specific product you have in mind. If you have a product or style code, use that in your search too!

4. If you know where you are going to buy your products, talk to the store manager and ask them if they are having any "in store" specials. Just like asking for an extra discount at the register, sometimes stores will allow their managers to have their own specials. But usually this is ONLY if the customer asks about it.

5. If there are no coupons, deals, specials, or discounts available of any kind, ask the manufacturer and the store manager if what you are interested in will be going on sale any time soon. Some companies don't tell their stores what is on sale until the day before the sale.......so you never know. You can always see if they have a callback list.......give your name and number and product you want to the manager or the customer service agent and they will (hopefully) give you a call back when it does go on sale, or the company has allowed the manager to have a managers discount.

6. Clearance centers. Not thrift stores, but clearance centers. Some large stores and companies have their own clearance centers, where old stock, returned merchandise, and display merchandise is sent to sell at a discount. For example: Nordstroms "Rack Room" or Neiman Marcuses "Last Call", even Sears has their own private clearance centers.

7. Look in the for sale sections in the newspapers and online in your local classifieds. Someone might have gotten what you are looking for as a gift, and doesn't like it.

8. Thrift shops. Sometimes people donate brand new, or slightly used items to thrift shops.

9. Place a "want ad" in your local classifieds.

10. Check Amazon, Ebay, and other online discounters and bidding sites.

11. Consignment stores. Usually these are known as "knick knack" or "Antique" stores.

FYI - I've received up to 75% off of retail on some expensive items because I had a manufacturers coupon, a store discount, and an extra savings discount for the company that owns the store. If you know how to shop, you will rarely pay retail again for anything.

If all else fails, you can write Santa Claus!!!!!
:p

Good stuff here! Thank you so much for all the tips! <3

Reaction score
Awesome tips Chester - you are definitely a bargain hunter!

I love finding deals too, but I guess I'm kind of embarrassed to ask a manager or something when they are having sales. I've got to get over that and realize that if they want the sale they'll hopefully try to help me out!

Reaction score
Awesome tips Chester - you are definitely a bargain hunter!

I love finding deals too, but I guess I'm kind of embarrassed to ask a manager or something when they are having sales. I've got to get over that and realize that if they want the sale they'll hopefully try to help me out!

Just remember, they are there to SELL to you. And if they realize you need a good deal, any decent store manager will be glad to help you find some kind of deal to sell you what you want.

Reaction score
Those are some good points Chester, I'd never thought of checking to see if they have coupons available. I usually just do an internet search for coupons of a specific sort. Years ago, I used to shop the Macy's sales a lot, and on the non-sale days, would ask the clerks if the items I was interested in would be going on sale any time soon, but I'd totally forgotten about that, thanks for the reminder!

Reaction score
Good stuff, @Diane Lane and @ChesterV. I love bargain hunting. Shopping for cooking and baking equipment can get expensive, so every deal helps.

It's true that when people know you are a buyer and not just a looker, they are more likely to help you out. You can often learn about stuff you would have never found out otherwise. Many people don't like to ask for things, but it does make a difference. Don't be shy. They wouldn't have deals if they didn't want to give them to you, so ask away.

Reaction score
@Zyni Sometimes I think they do like to offer deals that not everyone's aware of. That way, they can claim to always be having sales and special deals, but not take a hit financially, since some people won't be aware, and will pay the higher prices.

Another way to get some deals, especially if you don't mind previously owned and/or vintage/antique items, is the Facebook sales groups and local sales apps. I recently sold some unused, but previously owned (by me) Pampered Chef pans via a Facebook local sales group. I have seen other similar items offered on some of the local sales apps, as well.

Reaction score
Yeah, that makes sense, @Diane Lane. I think a lot of companies do that these days. So, this is an even better reason not to be shy about asking. I know some people that would rather pay full price than ask. Stores love these people, lol.

I haven't really bought much from FB groups and stuff. I've seen some deals, but they get scooped up quickly around here. I should sell some things though. I do have a few pieces of kitchen equipment that I don't use enough to justify keeping them around taking up my limited storage space.

Reaction score
Other tips........

If you live in a city and most people shop at the large company/franchise stores, try looking at the smaller stores or privately owned stores that carry the same kind of merchandise. Sometimes they will have stuff in stock long after the big stores have run out, simply because they don't have the traffic that the larger stores do.

Craft Fairs, Bazaars, garage sales, estate sales....you never know what you will find at these events.

Home Center exhibitions. They aren't as common as they used to be (pre-2005), but they still pop up sometimes. Home Center exhibitions will usually have displays and representatives available, selling or advertising their wares. Sometimes the representatives are allowed to give you a really good deal, or they have special coupons or discounts for the exhibition shoppers. (this usually works best when looking for home appliances). If you live in an area that has a State Fair once a year, sometimes these events will be held there.

For lack of a better term or description, I call these "second rate discount stores"....places like Big Lots, Ross, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Burlington Coat Factory...........you never know what will be on the shelves in these places!

Chat sites and forums that are designed for people like this (like this forum)......some of these sites do have threads where people sell stuff. Although I would prefer going through ebay or amazon.

Ask a Question