Decorating the Frosting

Reaction score
I love sprinkles and other things, when it comes to topping off the icing. What kinds of things do you use to give the finishing touch? I once used Tootsie rolls to form zombie hands for cupcakes. Are there any "all natural" things that you can use? Just wanted to find out what everyone else does.

Reaction score
I have only began to experiment with topping off my icing with elements other than sprinkles. One of my new favorites are gummy bears. They offer an unique texture and flavor to cupcakes and cakes.

GummyBears-Colors.jpg

Reaction score
The only toppings I would consider on frosting is either nuts or sprinkles. I usually won't even add toppings as they usually don't blend well with the frosting.

Reaction score
That close up picture of the gummy bears, makes them look so yummy! I almost forgot, when I did the zombie hand I made little chocolate tombstones. I had a Wilton mold for the tombstones, I believe. I love candy molds!

Reaction score
Decorating cupcakes for kids is probably the easiest when it comes to adding things besides sprinkles because they don't really care what taste combinations meld well together. They want it to look cool and taste sugary. And there are so many ways to deliver!
In a decorating idea book I have at home I have seen examples of the simplest candy items being used to make silly-face cupcakes. Just to name a few, M&Ms for eyes, Apple Jack's cereal for an O-shaped mouth, twizzlers pull n' peel for hair, Cheerios for hoop earrings, jelly beans for noses, the bananas from Runts for eyebrows or ears, and those sour gummy watermelons for a happy mouth.
This could be a fun birthday activity for your kids and their guests to create their own cupcake faces using a variety of candy put together in their own unique way. :)

Reaction score
I have used a number of candies to decorate in the past. My favorites to use are skittles, nuts, mini marshmellows, chocolate chips, mints and M&Ms.
For Christmas, I made reindeer cupcakes. I used brown M&Ms for eyes, red M&Ms for noses, Pretzels as antleers, nuts for eyebrows, and formed a red and green scarf using red and green M&Ms. They were a hit and I had a blast making them!
There are no rules when it comes to decorating! Just have fun! :)
To make decorating a little more healthy, you could try using dried fruit. That way you can still add color and do fun things like designs and faces without all the extra calories.

Reaction score
I've only recently started getting too into different decorating ideas myself, but I have had fun experimenting a little with various ideas. Gummy bears are good, and really there are a variety of candies that work well for decorating cupcakes/cakes. I know it's generally considered 'the herpes of the art world' but I've been known to use edible glitter sometimes.

Reaction score
I decorate cakes with sugar paste, sprinkles or nuts. The sugar sprinkles come in a variety of colors. I love the red sugar sprinkles. I chop walnuts or pecans also. I decorate vanilla cakes with sugar paste and fondant. The cake decorations make the cakes so pretty.

Ask a Question