Depression Cake

Reaction score
Someone sent this recipe to me when I was low on ingredients. It's not the most moist cake but if you're craving chocolate and low on things I find this cake hits the spot. I was told it's called a Depression Cake because it was common during the depression when supplies like milk and eggs weren't as plentiful.

1 2/3 of flour
1 cup of white or brown sugar
1/4 cup of cocoa powder
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 cup of water
1/3 cup of butter of oil
Optional:
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
1 teaspoon of vinegar

Mix ingredients together and pour into a cake pan. Bake at 350*F for 30-35 minutes. It will almost come out like a chocolate loaf.

Reaction score
Thank you for the recipe! It sounds very good! My only concern is the teaspoon of vinegar. Not sure how I feel about vineagar in my cake! Although, I'm sure you wouldn't taste it.
My grandmother passed down a lot of recipes she had that they used during the depression. One of my family favorites is her jelly. She would always can it and store it in her pantry.
Here's the recipe, it's very simple:
Ingredients:
4 cups fresh tomatoes (peeled and chopped) (no seeds)
4 cups sugar
1 (6oz) package raspberry jello
What to do:
In a large saucepan combine the tomatoes and the sugar. Bring it to a boil and let it simmer for 20 minutes. Remove the mixture from the heat, add Jello and stir until it is completely dissolved.
Pour into jelly jars and seal it.
I think recipes from the depression are great. They worked hard to do so much with so little. We can certainly learn a lot!

Reaction score
What a great idea for a recipe. This sounds so delicious. I can't wait to try it. I wonder if the vinegar helps make the cake more moist. It seems like an odd ingredient for a cake. But if it tastes delicious, that's all that matters.

Reaction score
I always found the vinegar an odd ingredient too although I have a Whoopie Pie recipe that calls for vinegar also. You don't taste it and I think they say it makes it fluffier when you combine it with baking soda, but I've left it out before too and it still tastes fine.
Smlewis your so right! And thank you so much for the jelly recipe. I can't wait to try it. I've never thought to put tomatoes in a jelly recipe but it sounds delicious.

Reaction score
Pretty new for me to hear that name. Depression!
Well, I think I may need it these days much.
Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Ask a Question