Feedback on My Pastry Mat Design

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I am hoping I can receive feedback on a pastry mat I am designing.
Please look at the 3 variations attached and let me know your thoughts.
Looking forward to receiving your replies!

Kerry

Attachments

• D&K-Sample_1.jpg
    D&K-Sample_1.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 308
  • D&K-Sample_2.jpg
    D&K-Sample_2.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 353
  • D&K-Sample_3.jpg
    D&K-Sample_3.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 290
Reaction score
It bothers me that the 20 circles aren't evenly spaced, and there seems to be a bigger gap on the left and bottom than on the opposite sides :confused: I like the separate conversion tables though.

Reaction score
I agree with @Becky on the circles not aligning with the corresponding inch lines. Don’t look professionally made.

Weight conversion isn’t really useful because no two ingredients weight the same by volume (i.e., 1 c sugar = 200 g; 1 c flour = 120 g to 150 g depending on how the cup is filled). Also liquid measurements vary (1 c milk = 236 g; 1 c water = 226 g).

Different recipe developers use different standards for the weight of 1 cup flour. King Arthur Flour uses 1 cup flour = 120g; Cook’s Illustrated and many other very popular sites like Serious Eats use 1 cup flour = 140g. Other well-known cookbook others such as Dorie Greenspan use their own standard.

So volume to weight conversion is not standardized in baking; adding a chart is simply going to confuse those who are making the transition from volume to weight measurements.

If you’re designing this mat for US residential ovens, at 32” it is too big. The largest sheet pan that a residential oven can hold is a 2/3 sheet pan which is approximately 16” x 22”. But the 2/3 sheet pan is NOT commonly used by home bakers because they’re usually only available through restaurant supply stores. I don’t ever recall seeing a 2/3 baking sheet in a retail store. Nor have I seen a 2/3 sheet baking mat in a retail store. My local kitchenware store which carries a lot of Commercial grade equipment doesn’t even carry a 2/3 sheet baking mat. A 2/3 sheet size is really very uncommon, yet it is the maximum size for a residential oven.

The most common size sheet pan used by home bakers in the US is a jelly roll; size varies by manufacture.

My Silpat mats fit perfectly in my 12 3/4” x 17” jelly roll pans.

Silpat is the most popular baking mat. Their mats fit perfectly in every sheet pan I own from the quarter sheet all the way up to the full sheet pan. You might want to look at their sizing to get a better idea of the size mat for your target customer.

Ask a Question