Diabetic Cupcake Recipe

Reaction score
Hi I need some help my brother offered me up to make a cake for a friend of a friend for his mothers birthday which i don't mind but he then told me his mum was diabetic so could I do some cupcakes with frosting for his mum that are diabetic friendly to eat along with a normal cake ...... I cant back out of it but I don't know any diabetic friendly recipes ! So if anyone could recommend a recipe for me asap I would really appreciate it as I've only got a 6 days to practice it xx

Reaction score
Hi I need some help my brother offered me up to make a cake for a friend of a friend for his mothers birthday which i don't mind but he then told me his mum was diabetic so could I do some cupcakes with frosting for his mum that are diabetic friendly to eat along with a normal cake ...... I cant back out of it but I don't know any diabetic friendly recipes ! So if anyone could recommend a recipe for me asap I would really appreciate it as I've only got a 6 days to practice it xx

Sugar free baked goods are one of the most difficult to make. The issues are many from batter volume to excessive dryness from the lack of sugar. To deal with the volume issue, use the sugar substitutes that are labeled “baking.”

Be careful of the sugar substitutes you use as since some of the blends, like truvia brown sugar, contains real sugar. Read the label carefully to ensure the sugar substitute is in fact sugar free.

Diabetes runs in my family. And I have to say I have yet to come up with a sugarfree cake batter that is edible.

Your best bet is to try recipes from diabetic living. The link below discusses the results from their tests of various sugar substitute using real sugar as the control.

http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com/diabetic-recipes/sugar-substitute/baking-sugar-substitutes

Reaction score
I'm diabetic and have made a couple of sugar free cakes that turned out ok. They end up being a bit tougher or more dense than a regular cake. And they don't taste too good either, unless you use a lot of flavoring.

And depending on what type of diabetes she has, will depend on what you can make. Saying someone has diabetes is like saying someone has cancer. There are numerous types of diabetes, and each one has it's own "do's and don'ts". Some can have some sugars, some cannot have any, and others can't have sugars of any type of any kind.

Does it HAVE to be a cake?

I think sugar free cheesecake is disgusting, but a lot of diabetics like it, because it can work with pretty much any type of sweetener.

Sugar free muffins are pretty good, especially if you put a bit of fruit and nuts in them.

You might could get away with a type of sugarless Tres Leches cake. That would be a spice cake soaked in milk or cream, and you could sweeten the milk or cream with non-sugar sweeteners before soaking the cake. And then use the non-sugar sweetener in the whipped cream as well. I dont know about the fruit though.......some diabetics can't eat fruit because of the sugar content.

I don't know if any of that helps out, but maybe it will give you some ideas.

Ask a Question