Did anyone ever tried making black bread before?

Reaction score
Black Bread is one of my favorite breads I've ever made. I am from the Caribbean, and we bake a lot of Black Breads here. I used to buy them a lot at a pastry store or a bakery close to where I live. I decided to try making one myself. I got the recipe from a family friend. She bakes a lot of Black Breads all the time because she works in a bakery. This bread recipe calls for carrots, which I think addes nice flecks of color.

You can also do a potato version as well, if you like. I used molasses to give the darkness to the bread. Sometimes I will use alternatives like honey, or black treacle. It work as well for those of you that are not fond in using molasses. For those of you whom likes their bread light, honey is a better option though. When I am finished baking my bread I like adding a little sprinkle of powder sugar on top of the bread when it's cooled. Delicious!!! :p

Reaction score
Is the black bread you speak of any similar to the Russian Black Bread? I had some Russian black bread once when I went visiting friends in Chicago and it was absolutely wonderful. It was the first time I ever had anything like it. The color of the bread looked as if it was burnt but it wasn't. I've never really found anything similar back home and have been on a search for a place that makes equally delicious black bread.

Reaction score
Is the black bread you speak of any similar to the Russian Black Bread? I had some Russian black bread once when I went visiting friends in Chicago and it was absolutely wonderful. It was the first time I ever had anything like it. The color of the bread looked as if it was burnt but it wasn't. I've never really found anything similar back home and have been on a search for a place that makes equally delicious black bread.
Well, I had Russian Black Bread (Punkinickel) at an Outback Steakhouse restaurant in Houston. It in general was a very good dark bread. However, in comparison with other (Caribbean) Black Breads, it was too sweet for my taste. So, I would say Black Bread, and Russian Black Bread are completely different. ;)

Ask a Question