The Joy of Licking the Bowl as a Kid

Reaction score
Boy licking Flat Beater..jpg

I did it. We all did it! We waited around in the kitchen to see who would be the one to be awarded with licking the bowl & beaters after a cake batter was made, whipped cream or instant pudding.

Reaction score
Is it bad to say I still do it? Not long ago when I was making pâte à choux, I had some leftover paste on my hands and I instinctively licked it off... won't be making that mistake again!

Reaction score
Unfortunately my mother did not bake. It’s not some thing Japanese women.

My American grandmother did a lot of baking, but licking the beaters was not something she allowed. Not hygienic she said.

My niece loves to bake with me. M y Japanese sister-in-law was surprised that I would not allow my niece to lick the beaters. I explained the risk of salmonella from the raw egg and E. coli and parasites from uncooked flour.

In Japan the chickens are all vaccinated and tested for salmonella. Not so in the United States. Raw flour is never safe to eat. The wheat has been in the fields and stored in the silos where it’s exposed to rodents, insects, and possibly bacteria and mold spores.

Ask a Question