Did you get any baking goodies for Christmas?

Discussion in 'Baker Banter' started by cefmac, Dec 30, 2013.

1. cefmac

cefmac Well-Known Member

For Christmas, I was lucky enough to get a few new recipe books - I got the official Great British Bake Off book from this year, as well as a more general Mary Berry cookery book. I haven't made anything from either of them yet, mainly because the house is piled high with cake at the moment, but they have some awesome-sounding recipes in them that I can't wait to try (such as raspberry fudge cake!). I also got a spatula for scraping the sides of my bowls (I always waste so much mixture because I can't get it down from the sides properly), which isn't very exciting, but was much-needed.

Did anyone else get anything baking-related?

cefmac, Dec 30, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. cefmac

True2marie Well-Known Member

The only baking related goods I got were in the form of food. A neighbor brought over a red velvet cake and sweet potato pie. Both of these desserts were delicious. Other than that, all of my gifts were not food related.

True2marie, Dec 30, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. cefmac

TheViper Well-Known Member

The only thing baking related I got was a dozen of chocolate fudge cookies. My friend ordered them from the local bakery. They were absolutely delicious!

TheViper, Dec 31, 2013
  4. cefmac

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I'm single, an orphan, and my friends live kind of far away, so I don't actually get Christmas gifts. I usually buy gifts for my daughter and a couple of her friends.
    The nearest thing I bought myself to a baking gift is a bunch of pumpkin flavored cake mixes that were on clearance for 50 cents.

Pinterest has a lot of ideas for making other things out of cake mix, like cake mix cookies and layered desserts so I bought the clearance cake mixes with the idea of transforming them into something else.

ACSAPA, Jan 1, 2014
  5. cefmac

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

I did get a very nice potato ricer, that is adjustable from chunky to smooth. I also got one of those Aero Knives that Ming Tsai is selling on TV. Those things are total crap - they don't cut anything, they are just serrated blades that saw through stuff. It snags on everything and gets stuck to the cutting board constantly - I'm ready to throw it out.

OhioTom76, Jan 1, 2014
  6. cefmac

Lacey Well-Known Member

I finally got my lid that you can pour things into for my mixer as well as a couple of attachments for it. YAY!!!! I was so excited about these gifts. They were much appreciated and will be used all the time.

Lacey, Jan 1, 2014
  7. cefmac

smlewis00 Well-Known Member

For Christmas, I got some cookie cutters from my friend. They are all Christmas themed, so I will definitely put them to use for Christmas. There are reindeer shapes, santa shapes, candy cane shapes, ect. I know it's a long way away, but I have already been thinking about how I plan to use these cookie cutters for Christmas and how I want to decorate the cookies. I found some really cute Christmas cookie tins on clearance at an after-Christmas sale. I'm thinking this year I may bake and decorate Christmas cookie, fill them in the tins, and give them as gifts.

smlewis00, Feb 10, 2014
  8. cefmac

SmartPea85 Well-Known Member

My mom knows I love to bake so she always tries to get me something to help improve my skills. :)
    Last year she got me a few really interesting cookbooks: a "Classroom Treats" cookbook filled with cute ideas for bite-sized goodies in recipe proportions perfect for sharing with 20-24 friends.

She also found me a cookbook of desserts that all use Cool-Whip as the main ingredient. Very interesting because cool-whip is pretty cheap at the grocery store, as well as the other ingredients called for. The cookbook gives lots of great ideas for using cool-whip in way more unique ways than just a topping or a layer in trifle. There are so many delicious-looking ideas I don't know where to start!

SmartPea85, Feb 10, 2014
  9. cefmac

dandeliion Well-Known Member

No ;( but I did put a silicone baking sheet in my mom's stocking and now really want one! Oh and I bought myself some cute spatulas.

dandeliion, Feb 11, 2014
  10. cefmac

janineaa Well-Known Member

I did, actually. I received a small box of rocky road brownies cut into 6. I don't know where my friend got them, but they were so good! It was crunchy on the outside and when you bite into it, it was moist and soft. That was a pretty good Christmas gift! I'd rather have food as gifts instead of other material things :) Always a happy tummy for me!

janineaa, Feb 28, 2014
  11. cefmac

mommy42 Well-Known Member

None here. I did get lots of baked goodies from my mother-in-law! She makes such good cookies!!!
    But, I think I put on too much weight eating them! Yuck!! :) LOL Still working on getting that off!
    My daughter wants me to buy a fryer so I can make fried chicken and donuts!
    But, nothing for Christmas that was baking related.

mommy42, Feb 28, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question