Baking with Kids: A Fun Holiday Activity

Reaction score
My 12-year-old neighbor is interested in cookie. So, over the Christmas holiday, he asked to help me bake a cake.

I allowed him to come over and we did a simple lemon pound cake. The funniest part of the entire project was seeing his eyes light up after seeing the final results.

Reaction score
I really wasn't in the Christmas mood this year so I actually didn't do any baking this year. However, my mother-in-law did some baking while the kids were up at her house and she did let them help out.

My daughter got to help through the entire process of baking the cookies and my son was able to help in decorating the cookies after they had been baked.

I do think it is important to allow children to help in the kitchen or the time will eventually come where the art of baking would be lost.

Reaction score
My 9 year old always gets in the mood to bake and help out- for about a minute, than I end up finishing up for him. He did some ninja bread me cookies this year, but mostly he just likes the decorating (and eating) part of assisting! ;)

Reaction score
My 7-year-old frosted sugar cookies and made rice krispy treats for her cousins. She is getting to where she really loves to bake and read and follow recipes so I like to let her help me with anything that she is interested in.

Reaction score
Oh don't you love that.. that "this was just goo 15 minutes ago" look? haha. Yes, both my boys helped with baking and they always have, from the time they could hold a spoon to do it. They both even made their own batches of their fave cookies.. yumm

Reaction score
My daughter is 10 years old and she love to help me when i'm bizzy in the kitchen. She love to make breakfast and to bake cookies!! One day she told me mommy tonight i want to cook i said thats fine! She cooked meat,rice,potatoes and veggies i just helped her with turning the meat in the oven and stand by her while cooking!!! Mommy was so proud of her!!

Reaction score
Of course. My kids help me to bake every Christmas. Anyways they love cooking and baking along with me, so I always let them to develop one of their passions.

Reaction score
When it is Christmas time it's like impossible to keep my kids out of the kitchen; especially when it is time to bake our traditional christmas cake...their fingers are covered with the batter and they're munching on the fruits...honestly at times they are more of a hindrance but i can never let them know...and i enjoy having them around.

Reaction score
Oh my yes. My children thoroughly enjoy baking with me during the holidays. They choose what they want to bake and we have at it. I love to bake with them because they are learning to bake from scratch and they do it very well for youngsters. My twelve year old is definitely the baker amongst my children. He bakes cornbreads, cakes, and cookies. This Christmas I plan to introduce them all to pie crust and home pies. I'm going to make it fun so that they will want to continue with the bakery projects in the future.

Ask a Question