Difference between Wilton 6B and Ateco 865?

MSX

Reaction score
Hello everyone, can someone please tell me the difference between Wilton 6B and Ateco 865 tips?
They both have 15 teeth and nearly the same opening diameter
Is there any real noticeable difference in results (eclairs & cookies, large icing star drop flowers) worth buying them both or are they technically interchangeable? Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello everyone, can someone please tell me the difference between Wilton 6B and Ateco 865 tips?
They both have 15 teeth and nearly the same opening diameter
Is there any real noticeable difference in results (eclairs & cookies, large icing star drop flowers) worth buying them both or are they technically interchangeable? Thanks

The Ateco 800 series is their larger series.

The Ateco 865 opening is approx 12 mm opening and Wilton 6b opening is approx 15 mm

Ateco makes the better overall tips with a better metal, more consistently cut and shaped design.

Wilton tips are are inconsistent in quality in that the teeth are cut uneven and bent. They’re made of a cheaper, thinner metal that bends out of shape easily.

For fine decorating work, PME brand is the best: 0, 1, 1.5, & 2.

I don’t use Wilton use and I don’t personally know any professional pastry chefs who use Wilton either because they are so substandard.

In fact 99.99% of Wilton products are substandard. The only Wilton product I use are their cloth baking strips and one food color dye set (a pastel set).

If you do a lot of piping work, you should consider keeping an extra of the same tips you use often. No matter which brand you purchase, your tips will eventually get dinged, bent, etc. A slightly bent prong will distort the product piped. They are relatively inexpensive, just a dollar or two.

Ask a Question