Different Flavor "Chips"

Reaction score
went to the grocery store the other day, I found out that they don't sell just chocolate chips anymore, they sell other flavors/types too! I saw butterscotch, white chocolate, peanut butter, peanut butter and chocolate swirls, and someone said that they're getting a white chocolate and strawberry mix?! I hadn't even realized that they even sold different flavors other then chocolate, but I think it probably opens up a lot more baking options!

Have any of you used these non standard chips in their recipes before? What did you use it in? Cookies? Cupcakes? Do you think different flavor chips are cool and a neat way to change up a recipe, or do you think they're weird and kind of blick?

Reaction score
I've never used them, but I might try it! I saw pumpkin ones in the fall last year, was thinking those might be good in cookies..

Reaction score
I have tried a lot of different flavors, but the rule of thumb is to get the name brand versions. I once purchased an off brand bag of butterscotch chips and did not like the way they tasted when they were baked in my cookies. The baking process dried out the chips, instead of melting them, and the chips turned out crunchy.

Reaction score
White choclate and strawberry , sounds great! do you know what brand ? I have tried cinnomon chips they are great in oatmeal raisn cookies as well as snicker doodles. I love the idea of different kinds of chips because not everyone love chocolate.

Reaction score
Oh yes! The varieties seem endless these days. And it seems they're always coming up with other flavors that are unique and sometimes good, sometimes not! Mostly good though! I pretty much love all of them and there are so many possibilities when it comes to baking with them! Yum!

Reaction score
I've seen some of these different kinds of "chips" and I am definitely looking forward to using them. I may substitute some for a recipe that calls for plain chocolate chips to see what happens.

Reaction score
I love the white chocolate ones. I've used them in brownies and cookies. I think it would be fun to do a peanut butter chip and white chocolate chip cookie. I've wanted to try the mint chips but I haven't made anything that would call for them. I also would like to do something with the Toffee flavored ones. I actually sometimes just eat the chips as are. I have to remind myself why I've bought them, most times.

Reaction score
I've tried most of the different chips, even cherry flavored ones. I like most of the new flavors but I don't buy them that often because white chocolate chips cover most of my cookie and fudge making needs. The Andes mint chocolate chunks are good enough to eat right out of the bag.

Reaction score
My daughter and I make chocolate chip cookies with white and semi sweet chocolate chips. I love white chocolate and when we saw the "white chocolate chips" at the grocery store I had to try them. My daughter has even used them inside of her red velvet cupcake batter. However, the "white chocolate chips" I came across are not white chocolate at all, we had to buy a bar of real white chocolate for the genuine white chocolate taste. Usually the "white chocolate chips" are cream, condensed milk, vanilla flavored morsels or some variation of that. Some of the "white chocolate chips" were good but if you are a fan of white chocolate you will notice the difference. :)

Reaction score
My ex mother in law makes the marshmallow cream based fudge at Christmas time and has used the different kinds of chips in it with great success. I have also used these chips as a substitute in Chocolate Chip Cookies and my family loved them. I have been really pleased with both the texture and taste they have.

Reaction score
I have noticed alot of different variety of chips and have experimented with some in the past. I've used the mint chips in my moms chocolate mint cake and I've used the peanut butter ones in a cookie recipe I found. I'd love to get my hands on some strawberry ones!

Reaction score
Oh for sure, we love the different flavoured ones in my house! The chocolate & peanut butter swirl being my favorite to work with, I've used them in cookies, cupcakes, muffins and "chocolate chip" pancakes, too, works just as well.

Reaction score
went to the grocery store the other day, I found out that they don't sell just chocolate chips anymore, they sell other flavors/types too! I saw butterscotch, white chocolate, peanut butter, peanut butter and chocolate swirls, and someone said that they're getting a white chocolate and strawberry mix?! I hadn't even realized that they even sold different flavors other then chocolate, but I think it probably opens up a lot more baking options!

Have any of you used these non standard chips in their recipes before? What did you use it in? Cookies? Cupcakes? Do you think different flavor chips are cool and a neat way to change up a recipe, or do you think they're weird and kind of blick?
I use the different kinds of chips all the time and yes it does switch things up a bit. :) My kids love the fact they can chose. :) I always have a few kinds on hand just not for cookies but for pancakes. My kids love to put these chips in their pancakes and it makes it a bit more fun! Not to mention they do just like to eat them right out of the bag!!
In all of the things I have made with them I have never has any bad experiences in using a different kind of a chip other than chocolate. :)

Yummy !!!!

Danyel :)

Reaction score
I love anything with peanut butter in it, so peanut butter chips are my new favorite thing to add to everything. Sometimes they're just so much more convenient than peanut butter as a spread! I do still enjoy the chocolate ones, though, especially dark or bittersweet chocolate chips.

Another tip I've heard is to use miniature chips if you can get them in that size, because it essentially has more surface area in the baked good per cup or whatever given measurement of chips, and therefore more flavor of that chip.

Reaction score
I have not tried out any of flavored chips as yet but i am planning to make a go for it as soon as my daughter is home for the Christmas holidays.

Reaction score
I'm missing out. I have never seen these other flavored chips. It would be make some cookies with them. I'm going to have to research where I can find them. I haven't seen them at my local Trader Joe's or Sprouts.

Reaction score
The peanut butter ones sound a little too much, but the butterscotch and the pumpkin flavors that another user mentioned really had me thinking here. I cannot I have seen too many sweet flavored chips, but they sound like they could hit the spot at certain times.

Reaction score
First time I'm hearing about those. I knew about the white chocolate ones, but I've never used them. I've only ever used the chocolate chips, but all those other flavors sound yummy, I can't wait to try them in some recipes.

Reaction score
I've used the different types of chocolate, including white chocolate, peanut butter, butterscotch, and also butterfinger bits/chips. I've used them in things such as cookies, muffins and cupcakes. I have also used some in trifles, especially as toppings. Two I think would be nice would be cinnamon and then also mint. The mint, I would probably use in brownies.

Reaction score
I just bought a packet of those peanut butter chips and they are delightful. I just love them. The only worry now is to find a recipe that I can use them in. Any ideas? Something simple that even I can make because I just cannot wait to try them out.

Ask a Question