Do cupcakes with fresh fruit compote have to be stored in the refrigerator?

Reaction score
I have been searching all over the internet for this answer, and can't find anything! I want to know if cupcakes filled with homemade (cooked) fruit compote have to be refrigerated. The cupcakes are butter cakes with buttercream frosting, so they taste best at room temperature, and I don't want them to dry out at all in the fridge. Although, I don't want to leave them out at room temperature if it is a food safety hazard. I know that baked fruit pies can be left at room temp for a couple days, so wouldn't that essentially be the same as a friuit compote filling beinf inside a cupcake?

I would love all the help on this subject I can get! Thank you :)

Reaction score
Is this a cooked filling put into the cupcakes or is this baked inside the cupcakes?

Reaction score
I think it depends on the sugar content. If it's pretty high then the sugar acts as a preservative, and they are fine out of the fridge. That being said, because they also feature buttercream, if it was me I'd store them in the fridge in a sealed container, and allow them to warm up to room temperature before serving them.

Reaction score
It would be a cooked compote that I would fill each cupcake with once the cupcakes are out of the oven.

I would keep them in a cooler. Not necessarily a fridge, but they would need to stay cool.

Ask a Question