Do You Bake Cake For Holidays?

Reaction score
Hello everyone! :)

It has been our family tradition to always have a cake on our dining table during holidays or special occasions. We either buy or bake but these days we usually buy because of time constraints. I'm curious if you guys also bake cakes for your special family occasions and holidays. What cake do you love baking for holidays?

Reaction score
We make desserts for Christmas particularly cassava cake and/or yam jam aka ube jam which we bring along to the family reunion on Christmas day. But in the recent years, it seemed that we were experiencing time constraints so instead of cooking, we just order from reliable kitchens. Baking something during the Christmas eve is a good bonding for the family as what we have experienced when I was young. I miss those days when I would be waiting for the oven to be turned off, that's the signal that something is ready for tasting.

Reaction score
Depends what holiday, really, although I would say that for us here cake tends to be more of a birthday thing. For everyone's birthdays we will usually do cake or cupcakes, but for holidays like Christmas or Thanksgiving it tends to be more like pies (apple, pumpkin, pecan) or cobbler (usually peach) and things like that. I'm not sure why...maybe just tradition, but it tends to be how it plays out!

Reaction score
My baking skills have seemed to fade away in the recent past, but I do intend to try and revive them this year as the holidays start coming around. Now that I think about it, I actually do have a lot of experience in Halloween food, so maybe that will be a good way to get back into the swings of things, at least in time for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Should be fun, and thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
My mom and aunt bake cakes during New Year celebrations when it's traditional to have round foods and fruits around. It's usually a toss between simple cakes like round custard cake and banana cake as there are just to many dishes to cook on this occasion. Cakes are indeed part of my family's traditions and we intend to pass them on to the next generations.

Reaction score
I normally do a cake for Thanksgiving and Christmas along with cookies just to mix things up a bit. I love to bake and look for any excuse possible to have cake. It is a guilty pleasure of mine.

Reaction score
Yes, of course. For both Christmas and Thanksgiving, we make cakes, but not the normal "all-the-time" cakes. We always have a pineapple upside down cake for instance. It varies every year. We have had cherry crumb cake, french vanilla coffee cake, etc.

Reaction score
Well, it really is not a tradition in my house, however, we bake cakes whenever we have the chance to do so, it's quite hard to find ingredients in my country nowadays due to the actual situation we're passing through, but yes, that doesn't stop us from baking cakes :D

Reaction score
I always make a cake or other dessert for the holidays. Time is always a factor but if I have to bake at midnight then I will. I try to mix things up but there will typically be at least one item that is the same for each holiday. For example I will always make a Yule log for Christmas. Decorated in holly and icing sugar, you can't go wrong!

Reaction score
Up until now, we've always bought all our cakes as there was no one in my family who could bake after my gran passed on. Now that I've taken up baking as my prime hobby, I will be making all our cakes from now on, starting with my daughter's birthday cake in November, and then the Christmas cakes and everything else that requires one.

Ask a Question