Do you bake your pizza with a pizza stone, wood fired oven, or a pizza oven?

Reaction score
A wood fired pizza oven will be ideal for getting that authentic flavor when baking pizza, but these could be pretty expensive costing you thousands of dollars to buy, assemble, and install. I like the pizza stone because gives you the versatility of baking in an oven or on your backyard grill. The pizza oven is small, compact and portable but I find that some of them can be on the pricey side. So what equipment do you prefer to make your pizza: a pizza stone, wood fired oven, or a pizza oven?

Reaction score
I use a convection oven for my pizzas.

Something that only a man would think of:
I wonder if you could use a grill to bake a pizza? If you had something to put over the pizza it should work fine. I wouldn't use charcoal or lighter fluid, though. I would use some wood or something natural for the heat.

Reaction score
What you do is you place the pizza on top of the baking stone before putting it on the grill. I wouldn't use charcoal or lighter fluid either. I also believe that using some wood to add to the flavor of the pizza is best.

Reaction score
Well I use a good old fashioned oven but the idea of pizza on the grill really does intrigue me. I am a southern country lady and love to camp and cook-out on grill. I think it would be fun to try the pizza on a grill. I agree with a more natural heat source as to not flavor it with starter fluid.

Reaction score
A wood fired pizza oven will be ideal for getting that authentic flavor when baking pizza, but these could be pretty expensive costing you thousands of dollars to buy, assemble, and install. I like the pizza stone because gives you the versatility of baking in an oven or on your backyard grill. The pizza oven is small, compact and portable but I find that some of them can be on the pricey side. So what equipment do you prefer to make your pizza: a pizza stone, wood fired oven, or a pizza oven?
I used to have a pizza stone but found it kind of cumbersome and the pizza didn't come out too crispy. I like a thin, crispy crust(less calories). So I've resorted to using a baking/cookie sheet sprinkled with cornmeal or sprayed with olive oil. Works pretty well!

Reaction score
We had a pizza stone, but we usually ended up using it just to reheat leftover pizza. It was hard to clean and there was nowhere in the cupboard to keep it. It's actually sitting out on the patio now with a large planter on top of it. :D

Now, we use a large, round, aluminum pizza pan that is designed with little holes all over it. This is supposed to allow good airflow under the pizza and helps the crust get crispy. I found out that you better put foil on the oven rack first or the cheese and sauce may leak through and leave a mess. The pan doubles as a cooling rack when I make cookies.

We don't like frozen pizza very much and usually just order in, so all we needed the pan for was reheating and not baking.

Reaction score
That pizza stone sounds interesting. There seems to be more portable ovens on the market and I wonder if it comes out as good versus a traditional oven. It's been a long time since I've make pizza from scratch, I'm so use to store bought lol.

Reaction score
We are looking for a new home right now. It will probably take us a year or two to get ready to move though. One of the things we are really wanting in our next home is a yard where we can have a wood pizza oven. There is no comparison to the taste. We love to make our favorite meals at home and avoid the restaurants if we can. Pizza is one of those things that we just cant make the same. We have been cooking them out on the grill and that is a close second favorite though.

Reaction score
We used to use a pizza stone too but found it cumbersome, hard to store and just more of a hassle all around. I usually just put pizzas right on the oven rack and that seems to do the trick for getting the crust crispy. I don't often make my own pizzas though - we often get Papa Murphy's pizza which you get how you want but bake at home. They turn out pretty good just baking on the oven rack.

Loopyloo - how cool if you can find a place where you can have a pizza oven!!! I'm sure pizzas cooked on it would taste a lot more authentic!!

I never thought to cook a pizza on the grill. We have a gas grill so that might be a better option for pizza cooking. Very intriguing! Wonder if it would be better for homemade or if I could "cheat" and use it for a Papa Murphy's pizza!!! :)

Reaction score
I used to use a pizza stone but as others said, found it cumbersome with no place to store it. No matter what I do I can't get my crust as crispy as the pizza places around our house so I end up using my "wall oven" aka the phone to order out!

Reaction score
I just use a regular oven and a regular pizza pan and do the best I can.
Even when pizza is bad, it's still kind of good, so I've never made an inedible pizza, even with my regular oven.

Reaction score
I use a convection oven for my pizzas.

Something that only a man would think of:
I wonder if you could use a grill to bake a pizza? If you had something to put over the pizza it should work fine. I wouldn't use charcoal or lighter fluid, though. I would use some wood or something natural for the heat.

Oh, they sell pizza stones for the grill! But you really don't need anything special to cook the pizza on the grill. Check out the book 'Pizza on the Grill.'

Reaction score
My interest in pizza stone has risen since I watched a video on youtube. I've been looking into buying a pizza stone recently. I haven't found the right one yet but I am getting closer.

Reaction score
I make my homemade pizza just in my regular oven. I think it turns out fine and really don't have the extra cash to spend on something expensive. I turn the heat up as high as it will go (500) and put it on a wire rack on top of a cookie sheet since I don't have a pizza stone either. It usually turns out just fine, although I have a great dough recipe too!

Reaction score
Due to lack of supplies and resources, I just make my pizza in the regular kitchen oven. I haven't run into any problems yet and it usually tastes good. Almost always use a cookie sheet or a regular ol' pizza pan. Next I want to try a pan fried version, since one of my relatives from Italy came over and made us all pizza that way. It was absolutely amazing.

Reaction score
We cook our pizza on a pizza stone in a regular oven. I would love to be able to cook my pizza in a woodfired pizza oven...maybe one day!

Reaction score
I have always made pizza in a regular oven. If I had my choice, I would like to have a gas oven. It reminds me of the pizzeria ovens. Not sure why, but they always taste the best.

Reaction score
I heard that if you have a charcoal grill you can add wood chips and recreate the effects of a pizza oven. You can bake just as you would in an oven if you grill with the top on. I have not tried this, however I am eager to see how well it works.

Reaction score
I heard that if you have a charcoal grill you can add wood chips and recreate the effects of a pizza oven. You can bake just as you would in an oven if you grill with the top on. I have not tried this, however I am eager to see how well it works.
If you try to bake the pizza on a charcoal grill and it works, please do share. I am eager to find out about it.
It would be great if it works just as well.

Ask a Question