Do you cook with your children?

Reaction score
Hello! I was just curious if you cook with your kids? If yes what generally do you cook with them?
I cook with my son and daughter quite often. I usually bake cakes, cookies or muffins with them.
Especially brownies, cheesecakes, vanilla muffins and much more.

*Also feel free to post any easy recipes you use while baking with your kids.*

Reaction score
I cook simple foods with my kids, or foods that I have a lot of experience making. I get nervous with them underfoot in the kitchen while I am cooking, and so I would never attempt a new recipe with them around. My oldest is 13 and she is very chatty!

Reaction score
Oh yes my son asks to help every change he gets. Especially when we are baking. He loves to crack the eggs. Maybe one day he will not get eggs shells in the bowl. Good thing I always crack eggs in a separate bowls. Cooking with a child is a very good bonding moment. Plus they will know there way around a kitchen and that is never a bad thing.

Reaction score
Oh yes my son asks to help every change he gets. Especially when we are baking. He loves to crack the eggs. Maybe one day he will not get eggs shells in the bowl. Good thing I always crack eggs in a separate bowls. Cooking with a child is a very good bonding moment. Plus they will know there way around a kitchen and that is never a bad thing.
Yes of course it's not. It will help him in his future life and this goes to every kid that helps out in kitchen. At least he/she will know the basics of cooking and baking and that's a good start. :)

Reaction score
Wow! I wish there was a way for me to keep my children out of the kitchen but that's more like impossible to achieve so i will allow them to help me with salads, cookies and i allows them to make their mac n cheese

Reaction score
I enjoy cooking with my son of 4 years, he loves to make pancakes, he evens offer to flip the pancake, that's when i get nervous... but it's loads of fun together. Food network one of his favorite channel

Reaction score
I love cooking with kids, it's so fun and they generally have a lot of excitement towards it! My son loves to cook and now that he's getting a bit older we can make more complicated things, but frequent dishes we make together include cakes and cookies, pizzas, and waffles. Some of his favorites =). I've started cooking with my little niece as well and while we stick to basics, she has so much fun it's impossible not to have a good time, too :).

Reaction score
My 7-year-old daughter has been begging to help me in the kitchen for a while, so I'm trying to work on my patience level to let her help me as much as possible. I usually let her do things like add the ingredients and mix or add toppings to pizza. I think it's great for children to help out in the kitchen, as they learn how to be more independent as far as cooking goes, and it's a skill they can use for life. I just don't think I can cook with more than one child, because then it's a competition about who does what, and then I'm sending them both away.

Reaction score
I cook with my sister's kids, and let them bake cookies. I always have them make baked goods, while they are over at my house. It's definitely better than them playing on the iPad all day. Also, baking is pretty safe. All they do is break eggs and mix things around.

Reaction score
I am looking for the "recipe" to get mine into the kitchen. I suppose I still have lots of time considering he is in his early twenties:). These days I think it is important to get them started at an early age so they won't be slaves to the fast food outlets.

Reaction score
I like to cook with kids, they have so much joy for it. My mom used to make me help on cheesecakes mixing and on making meatballs (meatballs were a lot less fun! so much fat sticking on the hands!). I do simple stuff like cupcakes, muffins and crepes with the lil' ones. They can mix and crack eggs and lick bowls, there is nothing too complicated with the whole process. Furthermore, the more they like the end product, the happiest they are having helped!

Reaction score
Cooking? Nope, I don't like to cook with children around, specially not small ones. A lot awful things can happen if you are not very careful while cooking! Actually my sister got severely burnt when she was little while playing in the kitchen. With that still fresh in our minds, no, no small children in the kitchen! My nieces are welcome to cook with me once they turn 10 or 11, not before.

As for baking, that is a different story ;) Less stress and risks.

Reaction score
I cook with my sister's kids, and let them bake cookies. I always have them make baked goods, while they are over at my house. It's definitely better than them playing on the iPad all day. Also, baking is pretty safe. All they do is break eggs and mix things around.

Yeah, that is true and that is why I don't mind letting my small niece bake with me. Baking is much safer than cooking for kids, I just don't like having kids around when I'm cooking. My oldest sister got severely burnt while playing around the kitchen with her bunnies. So no cooking for them yet, not until they're old enough to know how dangerous it can be to be near a hot stove with boiling water.

Reaction score
My little one is only 6 months old, but when she is old enough I definitely plan to teach her how to cook and bake. I feel like they are both very useful life skills and also it's a fun way to bond and do an activity together!

Reaction score
My kids love to help cook, especially my twelve year old. He has helped me in the kitchen since he was about 3. He used to stand on a stool and help stir sauces and soups with me supervising, of course. He also loves to help make cookies and cakes. Right now I'm teaching how to use a chef's knife and mince and dice things. These are great life skills. He is turning into a fine cook. It's a nice bonding time for me too.

Reaction score
My sister youngest son at a young age had an interest already in cooking and baking at the age of 8 years old. I remembered when I was not yet still married and is still living with them he was always in the kitchen watching us if what we are doing. He was already curious and very observant during that time that is why I am not surprised anymore that now he is 12 years old he knows already how to cook and bake simple and easy recipes. I always love teaching him before because he is a fast learner and he is really willing to learn to achieve his goal even though he was still young.

Reaction score
Great to hear about your nephew. I believe you ought to teach them from an early age to help themselves and when you find they have an interest help them develop that interest. Somehow I missed my opportunity with my son and I am not sure why. I never insisted and he never developed an interest. Maybe when he moves out he'll put to use some of what he saw me doing.

Reaction score
Sounds great.Its a great idea to teach kids about cooking.In this way they can help you.My little doll also help me out while i was making dinner.

Reaction score
I don't have children of my own but I cook with my nephew all the time. he is little shy of 4 years old and his favourite is to beat eggs. We go in sequences, first me in some higher pace then he goes a bit slower and so on. I also like to give him an apron and just make him cosy and comfortable in the kitchen. Sometimes we get dirty while I make dough and I give him a piece while his mother and my sister is not at home :) We make popcorns in the microwave oven and we just have fun.

Reaction score
Oh yes, it is a must in my household. I remember growing up in the kitchen and learning the tricks of the trade, and it is a great teaching opportunity. Everything from math to science to social skills can be taught be the whole process. Throw history in there too if you really want to tell some stories. I think that it is a great family activity in so many ways that I try to incorporate it as much as possible.

Ask a Question